I have a few IKE's and Kennedy's thinking of sending out to TPG however, they have spots from the mints rinsing agents. I've researched dipping using acetone, ammonia, rinsing with distilled water, etc.. trying a few (on other clad coins) but nothing is working.
Any tried and proven methods that won't be rejected by TPG as "cleaned?" Or should I send them out and request conservation services? Will that remove the spots?
Lord knows I tried, tested on a lot of mint set coins that I wasn't keeping. Every once in a while I'll try again. My last cleaner attempt was using MS70 cleaner which is incredibly damaging to the surface when viewed under 5x magnification. My take on those mint rinse spots is that they are etched into the surface... no chance at getting them out.
You could try a long time soak in acetone, but I don't think that it will make any difference.
Those spots are now on the coins permanently. if you try any other cleaning than an acetone soak, the TPG's are experienced enough to identify any other cleaning method almost instantly.
I don't think that the individual values of the coins you have, will justify any professional restoration fees.
Agree with Mike, a permanent blemish. However, the third party graders still grade them accurately despite the milk spots. I once had a 1964 Kennedy NGC pf68, based on the tiny flaws under magnification of my own it seemed about right compared with a near flawless pf69 that replaced it. However, I imagine you and I are the same on eye appeal. Just throwing that out there.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use