Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Need Help With Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,039Next Topic  
New Member
Damama's Avatar
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  4:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Damama to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I am noticing in some of my silver quarters a circular mark on the obversive that often cuts into the top of the head and date. is that a mint error and if so what is it called?
Bedrock of the Community
biokemist6's Avatar
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, just damage from counting/rolling machines
New Member
Damama's Avatar
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Damama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Ho hum, I've spent tons of time looking at hundreds of them and thought that was an error. So is there anything that I should keep an eye out for. I have hundreds of 1960 to 1964 Washington quarters and was hoping for more than just melt value.
Pillar of the Community
KurtS's Avatar
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How large is the circle?
If the circle is close to the edge of the coin, that's like Biokemist said--counting damage.
There is another form of damage that causes a smaller ring in the center of the coin.
I wish I had a pic handy, but I recall that's from a old type of change bank, and some people collect these.

I found an example of what I'm talking about, and here's the post.

Need-Help-With-Error-Coins
Bedrock of the Community
Conder101's Avatar
United States
17884 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2009  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That damage in the center from the change bank only comes on dimes as far as I know. I am not aware of a similar type bank for other denominations. (although they might exist, I don't know everything.)
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,039Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Forums