Hi my name is Jan and I'm a noob to the coin and currency realm but A few months ago I caught the fever And have been hooked ever since learning facts fiction and retaining all the information on the subject that I can which there is a lot!!!! Long story short-I recently found a penny that is missing the last digit of the date (only shows 196 how do I tell if it has been altered or if it is a misprinted coin?
They are asking you to provide some photos using guidelines in the links in the previous comments. There are many very knowledgeable people here that know a lot about penny errors. I don't collect pennies but I read the posts about them just to learn.
It could be damage or it could be a Grease Fill. This happens form time to time. But not a big thing. Damaged: That could be issue as these were seen up to the 1970's cents.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use