Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

2005 Jefferson Nickel Struck Through Grease?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 967Next Topic  
Valued Member
wontoo's Avatar
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  1:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi, I am a new member, this is my first post like this. I found this coin while roll-searching the other night. I have also included a photo of how it should look. Sorry if the pics are not that great. My first try at taking photos of coins. This seems like an extreme example. I live in Canada, it's hard to believe this coin made it out of the mint to market then traveled up to Canada, to be returned to a bank. Any thoughts? Would it be worth sending to PCGS?

2005-Jefferson-Nickel-Struck-Through-Grease? 2005-Jefferson-Nickel-Struck-Through-Grease? 2005-Jefferson-Nickel-Struck-Through-Grease?
Valued Member
Jazzcoins's Avatar
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jazzcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks like it was dropped in acid
JAZEC
Valued Member
wontoo's Avatar
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just took a shot of the edge of the coin. It is very even, although appears slightly thinner than a normal 5cent. Perhaps it was left in acid.

2005-Jefferson-Nickel-Struck-Through-Grease?
Rest in Peace
pyrbob's Avatar
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks harshly sandblasted to me. That would explain why one side is good.
Valued Member
wontoo's Avatar
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it must have come from the mint like this. It seems so evenly done. I would think if it was sandblasted, some areas would be lower/higher than others.
Pillar of the Community
coppercoins's Avatar
United States
7629 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is impossible for it to have been dropped in acid - both sides would be affected.

It could be a struck through, but wouldn't be grease. I would digress to the expert opinion of Mike Diamond on this one.
Valued Member
wontoo's Avatar
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input coppercoins. I just sent a message to Mike Diamond, hopefully he will come take a look.
Bedrock of the Community
biokemist6's Avatar
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you get an accurate weight on the coin? If it is a struck-through, the weight will be normal. If it was sandblasted, the weight should be something less than standard.
Valued Member
wontoo's Avatar
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a good idea biokemist6. I don't have a small scale, I've been thinking about getting one. I guess my local coin shop would have one, perhaps at the Deli down the road?
Valued Member
wontoo's Avatar
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just took it to the Deli down the road. I don't know how accurate his digital scale is. He happened to have a 1979 US 5 cent in his register. Both coins weighed 4g. Hmmm.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not look like a mint error. I agree with pyrbob -- it appears to have been sandblasted.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
wontoo's Avatar
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you all for helping out. This is a great site, you are very knowledgeable and helping folks. I've had the coin a couple of weeks. I'm glad I didn't save it for years thinking it was something its not.
Valued Member
soldier4Christ's Avatar
United States
419 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add soldier4Christ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was the new snowy day variety.
Valued Member
wontoo's Avatar
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2009  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was from the Royal Canadian Mint I would have thought so too!
Moderator
Learn More...
vermontensium's Avatar
United States
16697 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2009  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
thought it was the new snowy day variety

ebay
swcoin.ecrater.com
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 967Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Forums