Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsSpecializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1959-D-1MM-001

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,263Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Scooby Due's Avatar
United States
4003 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  4:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Testing my grading. Does this qualify as VF30?

1959-D-1MM-001
1959-D-1MM-001
Pillar of the Community
j_h_s's Avatar
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2010  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wear on the steps and western rim detract
I cant tell what's going on with the collar at midpoint.

Using the grades VF 20, 25, and 30 I'd go with 25...30 a push.

OBV VF30
REV VF20

Edited by j_h_s
04/12/2010 09:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Scooby Due's Avatar
United States
4003 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2010  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim, sounds good.
Bedrock of the Community
BadThad's Avatar
United States
20049 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2010  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF40

Look at the cornice on the reverse and the pillars/bushes at the bottom of the steps, those are the design high points. The steps are not not a good primary gauge for Memorials because there's often weakness due to die wear. I use it as a secondary measure.

On the obverse, the high points are just past the AU level. Look at: forehead (highest point), hair above ear, cheek, jaw, lapel and shoulder. On later years they lowered the relief of the shoulder so it is not a reliable wear indicator.....but on a 59 it is.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ INVENTOR
https://verdi.care/
Pillar of the Community
j_h_s's Avatar
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2010  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thad; you're more forgiving than I am about the wear. I should have been clearer than referring only to the steps (about which you are correct regarding strike).

I consider the middle (where there is almost no detail) and west portion of the foundation well-circulated.
Edited by j_h_s
04/14/2010 06:26 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2010  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, I am running for political office so I am going to get right in the middle on this one. LOL I completely agree with Thad on the obverse but tend to agree with j h s on the reverse. When I am having a problem nailing a grade to a coin like this I try to picture it red. It eliminates the noise that tends to show on coins that do not have strong eye appeal. If this coin were red I would still go VF-35
Jim
Pillar of the Community
j_h_s's Avatar
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2010  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Political Office? !

MS 30/35 !

We is (errrrrrrrr....ams) lerning.

:)
Edited by j_h_s
04/15/2010 08:09 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,263Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Forums