Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1804 Draped Bust 1/2c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 962Next Topic  
Valued Member
Ron_CA's Avatar
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2013  8:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ron_CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Here is a Half Cent I bought off ebay, just wondering the grade? I am thinking VF 25-30?

1804-Draped-Bust-1/2c

1804-Draped-Bust-1/2c
Edited by Ron_CA
01/07/2013 8:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
IndianGoldEagle's Avatar
United States
37193 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2013  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, I tend to agree with your guess on the grade.
Pillar of the Community
chesterb's Avatar
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2013  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-25 but it looks like it has been cleaned at one time and has some verdigris on the back. I'd give it a light acetone bath to try to take some of that off.
Bedrock of the Community
IndianGoldEagle's Avatar
United States
37193 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2013  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color seemed off but it may just be the lighting in the photo.
Valued Member
Ron_CA's Avatar
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2013  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ron_CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a dark chocolate brown color.
Pillar of the Community
kookoox10's Avatar
United States
1054 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would probably lay off the acetone for anything copper related. If you can grab a hold of some Verdi-care, that will be better yet. It won't mess with the color of the coin you have where acetone can make some funky/unnatural toning.
Pillar of the Community
chesterb's Avatar
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Ron_CA, I saw the light color and what Ithought were red spots and assumed it was cleaned. I wasn't thinking about the flash or lighting.

Regarding Acetone, I have been using it on copper coins for many years and I, personally, haven't seen any negative effects from it but, after doing some research on this forum, I can see it is controversial for copper. Sorry about that. I think the difference is I never submerge or let it soak on the coin. I just pat the coin or place it between two cotton balls soaked in it and then immediately let it air dry. Maybe that makes a difference.
Valued Member
morgandude's Avatar
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
kookoox10

good advice!
Valued Member
Ron_CA's Avatar
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ron_CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Guys....I'll see if I can pick up some Verdi-care
Moderator
Learn More...
vermontensium's Avatar
United States
16697 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  12:11 am  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF25 sounds good. Yeah, get some verdi-care.
swcoin.ecrater.com
Valued Member
jsbruton's Avatar
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsbruton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are right on the money, and it would also make a great type coin.
Valued Member
morgandude's Avatar
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdi-care is way better than acetone.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 962Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Forums