|
This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!
To participate in the forum you must log in or register. | Author |
Replies: 2 / Views: 1,942 |
|
|
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts |
So I can officially say I now own somewhere in the ball park of 10 Morgans from each of NGC, PCGS, and ANACS, somewhere between MS-63 and MS-64 (two MS-65 sprinkled in).
In my rookie judgment, I feel that the gap between the grading standards is almost zero now. My ANACS coins were graded with (in my view) BRUTAL conservatism! I got an 1887-P and a 1902-P back as MS-64, and these things are cleaner than ALL of my NGC and PCGS MS-64's.
Of the coins I am staring at right now, my personal opinion is that NGC appears to be most consistent and accurate. This is an old and tired conversation, but literally looking at 28 coins on the same table, ANACS is right there, and I was underwhelemed with the PCGS results. I guess I thought I would be "wowed" by PCGS being ultra-tough, and that is just not the case. In fact, one of the coins is likely "overgraded", and should be sitting in an MS-63 holder!
Not expecting a ton of responses, just adding the thoughts of a very novice, rookie collector.
-EndTheFed
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
9811 Posts |
ANACS has nailed most of my Morgan submissions, or killed me, one I feel is a lock MS64+ or MS65 came back in an MS62 holder.  (So did CCF on this one). But they can't be beat for VAM attributions (Thanks to John Roberts) and their grading for the most part is tough yet fair. PCGS is hit or miss from several years ago, I really haven't sent anything in for quite a few years now. So I can't comment on recent grading standards, but they are the "Gold standard in grading today in the market. NGC, I'm not a big fan of, and I see more coins that are mis attributed on varieties in NGC holders than in the other TPGs, but as to grading I think on silver dollars they are in line with my grades usually, and do a fine job. I also don't like their holders as much as the other two, they are too big and waste space in the safe and deposit box. My favorite slab is SEGS (but I'm no big fan of the service) and the older small white ANACS holders, they were great for storage space and looked nice. But I do admit to liking the new PCGS secure holders a lot. The current ANACS holders seem cheap in feel, while NGC's are solid but big. If I could have all my coins slabbed the way I want - they would be graded by PCGS, and slabbed in old style ANACS sized holders, with top labels like SEGS! That's the cake I'd eat! 
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013! ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1981, ANS, Early American Coppers Member (EAC), Colonial Coin Collectors Club member (C4), Conder Token Collector Club member (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS) member, Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC) & Numismatic Bibliomania Society member (NBS), USMex, Member in good standing, 2¢ variety collector. See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin 07/17/2014 11:35 pm
|
|
Valued Member
440 Posts |
Gotta love those old gold label small ANACS holders. At the last winter FUN show I watched a dealer crack out a bunch of Morgans in new ANACS holders to be submitted for a hopeful upgrade through PCGS. He was playing the crack out game real hard. Food for thought there. Quite frankly I like ANACS. I don't have to pay for the privilege of joining their club, they are tough on grading lately & as was previosuly noted for VAM there is no better than John Roberts. He is a nice guy to boot and will take the time to talk to you and throw in a little education.
|
| |
Replies: 2 / Views: 1,942 |
|
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

- Post Your Coins With Coats Of Arms, Shields, Crests, Crowns, Etc.
- Definitive Test For Black Beauty Nickels
- My Last Purchase: A Bronze Greek Coin Representing The Poetess Sappho
- How Many Countries Do You Have Coins From?
- How Far Back Can We Go? Ninth Edition!
- 1966 Nickel Die Adjustment Strike?
- Post Your Stories & Pix Of Found Money
- 1885-Zs Mexico - 25 Centavos W/Arcing Die Crack, Tilted & Re-Punched Reverse Die
- 1934 Peace Dollar NGC MS-67+ At Auction
- Will Our Coins Ever Be Valuable?
- G L B 49's MS-70 Perfect Silver Coins
- ID Help - Roman Provincial Coin
- 1894 Fifty Cents - Grade This Coin. It May Or May Not Be TPG.
- 1847 Undecimo Edge Great Britain Gothic Crown, Gothic Type, NGC PF61
- Error Opinions, 1971-D DDO, 1955-D/S, 1996-P Quarter
- Post Your Coins Representing The Animal Kingdom.
- Post Your Bird Coins
- Post Your Coin Or Medal With Flora
- Continuing List To Show Everyones Latest Acquisitions
- Post Your Coins Of Steel (And Iron)!
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
|
| Coin Community Forum |
© 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums |
| It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. |
 |
|
| |
| |