Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1982 D Penny Small Date Large Die Crack?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 7,860Next Topic  
Valued Member
Bella57's Avatar
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  11:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bella57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I have what I think is a small date penny which weighs around 2.5 g. The one on the right obverse is the coin in question.
Is this a die crack on the reverse? I see that the crack is incuse but the edges are puckered up. So I'm wondering if it was a die crack that is degrading.
I am quite confused if any of the 1982 pennies are valuable enough to keep. I've read there are 7 varieties but can't quite get a grip on which is of value.
I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you.

1982-D-Penny-Small-Date-Large-Die-Crack?

1982-D-Penny-Small-Date-Large-Die-Crack?

1982-D-Penny-Small-Date-Large-Die-Crack?
Bedrock of the Community
coop's Avatar
United States
62064 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2016  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lower cent looks like the rim is missing on the outside edge of the coin? Could we see a full image of that coin?
Valued Member
Bella57's Avatar
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bella57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply


1982-D-Penny-Small-Date-Large-Die-Crack?

1982-D-Penny-Small-Date-Large-Die-Crack?
Bedrock of the Community
coop's Avatar
United States
62064 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a MAD (Miss-Aligned-Die) coin. I wondered how far around the missing rim was. Not enough devices falling over the rim to be a collectable though. If the rim is normal, then it is probably spendable, unless you need a MAD coin to show to new collectors?
Valued Member
Bella57's Avatar
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bella57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was so caught up it looking at the crack I didn't notice the MAD. Thank you for educating me on this.
Moderator
Learn More...
John1's Avatar
United States
56855 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a full coin shot of the reverse?
John1
Valued Member
Bella57's Avatar
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bella57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply


1982-D-Penny-Small-Date-Large-Die-Crack?
Pillar of the Community
Dustin6's Avatar
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be a scratch on the reverse. Maybe get a direct light on the possible crack and take a pic
Moderator
Learn More...
John1's Avatar
United States
56855 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you click on pic 2 and 3 of the first three pics they enlarge. I see the "die crack ?" go on to the rim at 10k? I was kinda thinking cracked die and not a die crack Need coop and or Mike.
John1
Valued Member
Bella57's Avatar
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bella57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John 1. I don't know the correct terms quite yet, so I guess I should have said Cracked Die. My bad. Here are a couple of more shots from the rim edge at 10 and 4 o'clock with the best direct light I can get. I hope it helps. Thanks to all for the input.

1982-D-Penny-Small-Date-Large-Die-Crack?

1982-D-Penny-Small-Date-Large-Die-Crack?
Bedrock of the Community
coop's Avatar
United States
62064 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definite rim to rim die crack.
Pillar of the Community
Tunnioc's Avatar
United States
3213 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool rim to rim!

1982P Copper Large Date
1982P Copper Small Date
1982P Zinc Large Date
1982P Zinc Small Date-hardest to find
1982D Copper Large Date
1982D Zinc Large Date
1982D Zinc Small Date
Valued Member
Bella57's Avatar
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bella57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Thank you Coop for the confirmation. Does anyone have an idea of it's value?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 7,860Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Forums