I tried researching this medal only to find mention of it in books/catalogs that are 100+ years old. There seems to be replicas made in the mid 1850's of this "supposedly unique" medal but I couldn't even find auction results for the replicas. Does anyone have any information regarding this? It is the correct 40mm diameter, and the bezel looks like it was added 30-50 years ago (my estimate). I can't get a weight on the medal itself as I am hesitant to take it out of the bezel if it has significant value. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Yes the strike is definitely weak, I noticed that immediately. I forgot to note there is lettering on the bottom of the neck which can't be seen in the pictures, consistent with other examples of that obverse (the reverse I can't find any other examples of).
I did see that auction, but this is definitely not bronze. An example of a genuine bronze one can be seen here: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collec...s/38271.html I'm assuming that auction was a replica like mine, so it might be worth roughly the same though.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use