| Author |
Replies: 12 / Views: 1,078 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2355 Posts |
According to Coin News, production of the $1 Trump coin reached 16.4 million. This includes the Sept. 2 release rolls and bags that included 250K July 4 privy. They will be in circulation eventually. If people will be able to get them from banks uncirculated that makes the Sept. 2 release moot except for the privy? Without the privy and that many minted these likely won't have much collector value in my opinion, will be worth at least $1. https://www.coinnews.net/2026/09/16...out-expands/Edited by livingwater 09/18/2026 2:10 pm
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts |
All of this begs the question since 2021 when the Federal Reserve once again began ordering Half Dollars for circulation. What good is it to mint these Half Dollar coins and $1 coins for circulation if banks aren't generally requesting them, people aren't generally spending them and many retailers don't even know they exist? Why doesn't the Mint have a promotional campaign as they did with the Sacagewea dollar and original Presidential dollar and encourage people to use these in commerce. They can/should have used the SemiQ as a vehicle for this. I know a lot of people no longer use change and currency in many everyday transactions, but a large percentage still do and many more would if the true cost at the point of sale to the consumer of using cc was more transparent. So, spend Half Dollars and Dollar coins (see the threads in the CCF regarding daily use of these coins), create an awareness and demand.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts |
I'm just spitballing here since I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
Any chance they are looking to Canada style eliminate the $1 bill and go to just a coin? In the meantime they need to get them out there even if takes a while.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts |
I love coins, but honestly, given inflation since 1913, when BLS CPI data begins, do we really need anything other than quarters and dollar coins, with $5 and larger denominations printed on notes? If that happens, IMO the collector base for the dollars could increase causing a premium for early lower mintage examples. I don't particularly like the copper/zinc/mag alloy they use for modern dollar coins though. https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm1913 penny -> 34¢ today 1913 nickel -> $1.69 today 1913 dime -> $3.38 today 1913 quarter -> $8.46 today
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2724 Posts |
thanks for posting that BLS info, AES. that's very interesting. I've sent that in a text to several people, but doing the math I stretched it out farther to include dollar denominations' conversions/comparisons. i think the dollar coins should be bigger- the way they used to be-think morgan, peace, ike- and the half dollar coins should stay the same size. keep the quarters, eliminate the dime & nickel. do away with the paper dollar, keep the fives & larger. if they're gonna keep the dollar coins about the size of a quarter then they should shrink the half dollar coins down to nickel-sized. the larger denomination (dollar) should be the larger coin. fifty cent coins should be half that size. half of the dollar denomination should equal half the size of the dollar coin. or maybe that makes too much cents sense. otherwise we're heading for cbdc. the new ebt cards for the cbdc will bear trump's likeness, as well. we'll probably get new postal stamps with trump's image, too, if we don't have them already (i have no idea, I don't buy stamps). putting trump on a dollar coin isn't going to help move them, but I can see people going after the July 4 privy coins, no matter who is on the coin. at this point maybe the mint really should consider Ebenezer Scrooge's image on the coins (as I joke about from time to time re: the Presidential dollar coins). or maybe Rich Uncle Pennybags (from the Monopoly board game). (sorry, just being facetious) because I don't collect the Presidential dollar coins I have no idea what their mintages are, i'd have to look them up. 16M seems kind of low, but maybe not if they're not being used very much. some time ago I brought several half dollars to my neighborhood convenience store to spend on [whatever it was that I bought]. the guy working the register moaned about how the bank charges him for bringing in these types of coins. so I don't use half dollar coins because of that. and I actually rarely see them anymore. same with dollar coins. if I don't find one on the ground somewhere, I never see them.
Edited by MrPink2018 09/19/2026 02:12 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1871 Posts |
My local bank does not get coins any longer as everyone seems to be going cashless.
I went to the mint and was able to get Trump coins for face value at the change machine they have in the lobby.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2355 Posts |
That would be fun to live near one of the mints and visit sometimes.
Edited by livingwater 09/25/2026 1:30 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts |
Psuman08, can you select any 2026 coin from the machine?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
4622 Posts |
The machines they brought to the WFoM were just the normal coin dispensers, with whatever they loaded into them.
-----Burton 50+ year / Life / Emeritus ANA member (joined 12/1/1973) Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, EveryCountry (online) coin club Owned by three cats and a wife of 40+ years (joined 1983) Author: 3rd Edition of the Sample Slabs book, https://www.sampleslabs.info/
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2724 Posts |
Quote: That would be fun to live near one of the mints and visit sometimes. 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107684 Posts |
I missed a great opportunity when I was sent up to Denver for work - I did not go to the mint there, but instead went to the Budweiser Brewery 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2355 Posts |
Dearborn, if they gave you a free beer maybe that was better!
Edited by livingwater 10/01/2026 09:23 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1871 Posts |
Quote: Psuman08, can you select any 2026 coin from the machine? No. I have been to the mint to 2x this year. It is a standard change machine like you may have seen in an arcade. The first time I went to the mint, the change machine featured the We the People, Constitution quarter.
Edited by psuman08 Today 27M ago
|
| |
Replies: 12 / Views: 1,078 |
|