This is a coin that I paid quite high but thought this looks quite unusual.
In between the letter "Hong" Kong and "One" cent, you can see the letter "ten" which looks like a cross.
This exists on the a former Chinese 10 cash coin struck in 1905, 1906.
I am not aware of such coins overstruck on 10 cash coin - were these struck in China or in the UK? Got a feeling that it could be a contempory counterfeit.
I can't think of any other way of explaining this coin but to decide that PERHAPS it is an overstrike. However, I can't get down to a reason as why the Hong Kong details are so soft.
What is the weight and diameter of this piece, does it match the 10 cash or the Hong Kong 1 cent? Do you have any other HK 1 Cent and 10 cash coin against which you can compare a ring tone, diameter and weight? Have a very close look at the rim under high magnification. Were you told any details of this piece at the time of purchase?
This coin certainly deserves some interesting investigation.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use