I am a new collector but I have decided to concentrate on trying to get high quality examples. I see lots of threads on serial numbers and while the occassional one might have some interest to me like a very low number I can honestly say the patterns don't. I guess this is just like some folks like their coins shiny and others appreciate unique toning. But that's collecting, different strokes for different folks.
Building a type set is a great way to collect too. Buy the highest grade you can afford, to a certain degree. I wouldn't go overboard in the very high CU grades though. In other words, aim for CU examples and you'll have a great collection.
I'm not that big of a fan of serial #s either. I have some attraction, but not enough to pay those exorbitant prices.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use