I had given some of the LWC I got from the 5K hoard to a good friend of mine. I guess he wanted to return the favor so he gave me a small group of LWC & IHC. This coin was in the lot. I believe this was a proof that ended up in circulation. The coin has a goldish tone compared to the other penny. I wish it wasn't so beat to heck.
I have seen many of these before. They are gold plated and polished, and unless pristine, with the COA, they have no premium. They were sold as novelties, or given away as promotional items. A local restaurant actually used to give you these free with the purchase of a meal!!
Quote: They are gold plated and polished, and unless pristine, with the COA, they have no premium.
First, I should have checked the book to see if there were any proofs for 1944. That would have ended my quest from the start.
Yes, I'm in agreement that it was plated, however, I don't know what kind of COA would bring a premium to a gold plated Lincoln Penny. It is nothing more than a novelty.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use