Tidying up a bit, I found four shield cents and two dimes on a windowsill. After a quick glance, I saw the bust clash line on the reverse. Compared it to an overlay and found other indicators of a die clash. I'm finding these guys everywhere! (The dies were definitely polished after the clash, especially the reverse die, but there's still a bit. If anyone sees clash marks I missed, let me know.)
The three arrows pointing to the high points of the bust are recessed on the die. Clash typically shows at or closer to the field level. Maybe contact marks or chips showing there. Tough to tell.
Do see something going on with the other points of interest. Thanks, Doug.
At second glance, I'm not sure about the arrow closest to his ear, but I will get close ups this evening. He's in an acetone soak right now to remove some dried crud near the rims.
Thulium, on an unrelated note, can you enable emails or shoot me a message? There are a few possible CAM pics I'd like to share. (Or I could just post here, but I think everyone would be sick of CAM v WAM posts by now!)
As promised, more pictures of the dime. A little sharper, but since I don't have a scope, maybe not as good as you guys were hoping for. Sorry! And it seems to me there's enough surface wear to merit an AU grade at best. 53? 55? Oh well.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use