Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsSpecializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

What Do You Consider To Be Expensive For A Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 66 / Views: 9,439Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Collects82's Avatar
United States
1316 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over $50, I better say something to my wife beforehand.
Over $100, I need to have a collecting need I can explain to my wife.
Over $200, I better be able to convince her its a true rarity.
Over $300, we're talking I might not see it again for a loooooooooooong time and its a PERFECT fit for my collections.
I've never gone over $400.

I've exceeded $300 maybe twice. Exceeded $200 only a handful of times. Exceed $100 from time to time. Most if it stays to double digits.
Edited by Collects82
01/12/2018 5:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
thecoinguy1964's Avatar
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread! I have to agree with most, it's all relative. The most I paid for a single coin, was a couple of hundred for a $5 gold coin, but that's why I have many incomplete sets. I stumbled into a complete set of early Lincolns that I got for only $400 about 10 years back, otherwise it'd be incomplete too.
Valued Member
Ariette's Avatar
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I stumbled into a complete set of early Lincolns that I got for only $400 about 10 years back, otherwise it'd be incomplete too.


That sounds like a great deal! The 1909-S VDB is probably worth more than that alone.
Bedrock of the Community
Coinfrog's Avatar
United States
94367 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting thread for sure. I was taken by mox's "average value" statistic, so I'll run it on my stuff this weekend.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/12/2018 6:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Mark1959's Avatar
7234 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1909-S VDB is probably worth more than that alone.


Assuming it isn't a fake!
Valued Member
Ariette's Avatar
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Assuming it isn't a fake!


True, I suppose one has to be especially careful when it comes to key dates. I saw an article on NGC's website that said the 1909-S VDB Lincoln was their most commonly encountered counterfeit coin. Collecting date and mint mark sets isn't my cup of tea, but I don't think I'd take my chances with a raw key date like that in any case.
Pillar of the Community
thecoinguy1964's Avatar
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's how & why I got it so cheap, I was taking a risk, but it was later certified.
Pillar of the Community
KenKat's Avatar
United States
4085 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can spend $25-50 for coins all day long. $100 is doable but starts to be felt in the pocketbook. $250 is a coin I really have to think about. $500 makes the pocketbook start smoking and anything over $1000 it bursts into flames.

I have only ever bought one coin over $1000 and can count the $500+ ones on one hand.
Edited by KenKat
01/12/2018 8:37 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34563 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whenever I hit 1000 coins I sell my least expensive coins.


Very interesting idea--it forces you away from being an accumulator of coins.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
thisistheshow's Avatar
United States
987 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More than $25 for any one coin is too much for me right now, only because I currently do most of my buying by cherry picking at LCS's.
Pillar of the Community
chesterb's Avatar
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2017 was a buying year for me. I think I improved my collection quite a bit. I consolidated and sold a few and replaced them with some nicer pieces. However, I'm going to slow down n 2018. It's just a hobby and the family is on a budget. KenKat's pocketbook analogy is pretty much spot on for me.

I try to focus on nice, original circulated coins in order to stretch my buying power. A nicely toned EF coin is a joy to look at in my opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
spru's Avatar
United States
12477 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check spru's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2017 was a "buying" year for me, too. However, I only started collecting in late 2016.

The most I've ever paid for a single coin was $125. The vast majority of my purchases have been less than $10/coin. That's easy for me to do and justify. In the $10-$20 range, I have to think about it a bit more. Between that and my most expensive, there's not much to speak of at all.

This year will bring some purchases in the $50-$100 range, but that's stretching it to do more than a few times a year.

Since 2017 was my rookie year, I also spent a good amount on supplies including several Whitman/Dansco albums and lots of 2x2s and 20-pocket pages.

On the flip side, I also made money by selling coins, including a change find and a couple of cherrypicks. That's something to consider in the equation for those who sell coins.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
In Memory of T-BOP 10-12-1949 to 1-19-2024
Edited by spru
01/12/2018 11:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Debrajc's Avatar
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have collected inexpensive coins for 40 years.
But lately I have been buying nice quality coins.
$500 is expensive to me.
$1,000 takes some planning and a few months.
Pillar of the Community
MikeF's Avatar
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me anything over $3,000 requires a double dose of pepto and a Xanax.... and a stiff drink followed by another.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
CelticKnot's Avatar
United States
12921 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$2000 is a no-brainer though?
  Previous TopicReplies: 66 / Views: 9,439Next Topic
Page: of 5

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Forums