Anyone know a quick way to seperate the copper vs the zinc pennies? I've heard there is a machine but I only have a jar or two and after looking for a little while, I start seeing double.... no martini's involved.
Quote: Anyone know a quick way to seperate the copper vs the zinc pennies? I've heard there is a machine but I only have a jar or two and after looking for a little while, I start seeing double.... no martini's involved.
Whitman made a plastic scale that sold for $12 retail. Any balance scale will work, zincolns are 17% lighter.
Anything earlier than 1982 will be copper. Anything after 1982 will be copper coated zinc. Both types were made in 1982. Personally I like to use the drop test on the 1982s. Drop a coin you know is copper on a hard surface (just a few inches up) the copper will ring when it hits. Repeat the test with a coin that you know has the zinc center it will not ring but have more of a thud when it hits.
Well rough sorted the zinc and copper and counted $ 187.57 in pennies.
Have been going through some now copper and separating 1940, 50, 60 ect and putting them in rolls for now.
Funny some copper looking and old looking pennies are new zinc 1985 ect and I noticed the worst looking ones are usually newer. However I come across some that look new like zinc and find they re 1974 and 1952 but very clean and new looking like zinc.
I also know there will be allot of 1980-1990 and 2000 like new pennies.
As for wheat pennies so far not many allot of 1959 must some look like new.
Will keep rolling these for storage before I leave for my winter home.
Seems like the old copper pennies sure stay nicer looking when being circulated allot.
I found one of those Lincoln/Kennedy "cents" in my grandma's collection. It had glue on the reverse where it had once been on the cardboard holder.
In the picture above, one of the "coincidences" is that both names have 13 letters... I'm counting 11 for Kennedy, and 14 for Lincoln. Maybe I'm being too observant?
Well, good luck searching through the rest of your pennies.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use