I just got into coin collecting and this came out of my pocket. At first, I thought "what, did someone take a razorblade to this coin?" Then I posted it to facebook and was promptly told it looks like a new error that was found on an Indiana quarter and I might have something called a scrape in die error.
It is not a die error, it is post mint damage. Someone, after this quarter was minted, defaced the coins surface (which is illegal). Sorry, no extra value, but still worth 25 cents.
Ok now please explain your position. What leads you to believe that this is post mint damage? I'm not an expert, which is why I ask you to explain.
The scrape in die errors I've looked at and read about have the same parallel (or close to it) markings, and they aren't cut into the coin, they are raised, which means the die was cut into by something. My guess is the feeder arm (or whatever it's called, I can't remember off hand it's name)
Looking at pictures provided It was cut with a knife, box cutter,or something else sharp. I'm not an expert but ten years of collecting & studying error's and variety's tells me this. If someone can show an identical coin or the die that caused this maybe I can change my mind, Otherwise it's just a damaged coin and a spender. IMHO In My Humble Opinion
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use