Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

What Would You Buy If You Had Exactly $1 Million To Spend On Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 4,929Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
TimNH's Avatar
United States
428 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would start w/ the 1792 Half Disme, then 1793 chain/wreath/half cents, then 1794/5 silver stuff, etc etc until the cash was gone.

Or in other words, pretty much everything missing in my type set :)
Pillar of the Community
Collects82's Avatar
United States
1316 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd fill the holes in my sets and do it with better stuff than I would have otherwise.

My Buffalo set would truely be all MS.

My draped bust large cents and Half Cents date sets would be better than F2/AG3.

My Capped Bust Dimes and Half Dime date set would be better than VG/F.

For my hoard of 82s, I would add a 318 bc, then fill the US holes with the scare 3 cent, 25 cent, half dollar, and Trade dollar, complete my 1882 Indian cent Snow varieties, and then spend the rest traveling the world in search of a 482 AD dated coin, which might not actually exist. but I'd be traveling the world.
Edited by Collects82
10/11/2021 10:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
hokiefan_82's Avatar
United States
3827 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd definitely start with the round and octagonal Pan Pac $50 commemoratives. Then, I'd start working my way down my type coin "dream list", starting with a Gobrecht dollar, a 1792 Half Disme, and a Stella. It wouldn't take too long to get through that million dollars .
Member of SPMC, FCCB, ANA and ANS.
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
Edited by hokiefan_82
10/11/2021 11:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would buy gold and silver bullion. I would be uneasy spending that kind of money on numismatic objects. But if I had to, I guess I'd go with date sets of AGE's and gold Buffalos. Maybe that is still considered bullion.&
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Zurie's Avatar
United States
5720 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:16 am  Show Profile   Check Zurie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint state 1795 eagle and half eagle, then I'd call it a day...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Winesteven's Avatar
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First I would help my good friend hfjacinto upgrade his Flying Eagle/IHC set and his Dansco 7070 with Gold set, to coins all in high MS grades. This would give me great pleasure.

I'd make sure there were just a few dollars left over so I could finally find three upgrades I'm having the hardest time finding with CAC's for my Standing Lib Quarter Full Head DATE Set - 1923, 1926, and 1927.
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
kbbpll's Avatar
United States
4233 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to be worth a billion dollars before I'd spend a million on coins. It doesn't seem like you could get anything "famous" out of US coins for only a million bucks these days, so I'd go elsewhere. A 1911 Canadian dollar, 1921 half dollar, and 1936 Dot cent for me, as a bulk lot.
Bedrock of the Community
sel_69l's Avatar
Australia
21792 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pan Pac $50 octagonal and round pair, in the highest grade obtainable.
In fact, some years ago, I had such a pair sitting in the palms of my hands, at a public auction view day; suitably impressive ! - 4 ounces of gold to boot.
Moderator
Learn More...
John1's Avatar
United States
56855 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd donate it all to the Coin Community Forum.

I think Bobby just fell out of his chair
I think I would buy the highest grade, key date U.S.coins until I have spent it all.
John1
Pillar of the Community
hfjacinto's Avatar
United States
7396 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
First I would help my good friend hfjacinto upgrade his Flying Eagle/IHC set and his Dansco 7070 with Gold set, to coins all in high MS grades. This would give me great pleasure.


@winesteven
Rest in Peace
T-BOP's Avatar
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd finish off my circulated Jefferson nickel set and spend the rest of it on Cheese Burgers & Fries .
Pillar of the Community
Ty2020b's Avatar
United States
4680 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd finish off my circulated Jefferson nickel set and spend the rest of it on Cheese Burgers & Fries .


Save enough for the quadruple bypass surgery(ies)!!
Rest in Peace
T-BOP's Avatar
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Save enough for the quadruple bypass surgery(ies)!!

I already have 9 stents inside me .
Pillar of the Community
kanga's Avatar
United States
5825 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd finish off my US type set.
I'm missing two coins:
-- Small Eagle Reverse Half Dollar (1796-1797) in a high grade (XF/AU)
-- Gobrecht dollar (1836-1839) in a high grade (XF/AU)

That would leave me with plenty of money to do upgrades on a number of my existing coins.
Edited by kanga
10/12/2021 10:30 am
Pillar of the Community
atticguy's Avatar
United States
1373 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think one million would probably get me all the items I need to fill the holes in my collection except one.

I have a 2003 Canadian dollar on my want list that the million might be good enough as a down payment. This is the one that commemorates the Queen's 50th anniversary of her accession to the throne.

Oh, BTW, this is the gold version.

PS: They issued a quantity of one.

I have a spot saved in my binder for this coin, but am not holding my breath for it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 4,929Next Topic
Page: of 4

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Forums