| Author |
Replies: 6 / Views: 1,018 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1122 Posts |
Pertinax AR Denarius 193AD. Obv. IMP CAES P HELV PERTIN AVG, laureate head right / AEQVIT AVG TR P COS II, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia. Slight bend at top. Weight 3.17 gms. RSC 2. RIC1.a (R2). First of the 5 emperors to succeed Commodus. Only reigned for three months. Very Rare.  Very apprehensive to buy, since these are faked a lot. I made my decision to purchase the coin based on the very reasonable price and provenance - seller says he purchased this and other ancients from the late Dr. Donald Zauche of Westminster, Maryland, a very well-respected dealer and scholar. Just wanted to see if anyone here on the forum, dealt with Dr. Zauche? The coin looks great in hand, a very fine bold strike indeed. Edited by travelcoin 08/20/2022 4:14 pm
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7067 Posts |
He was well-regarded, based on the number of positive mentions he received in threads at CT, where I just searched on "Zauche". Seems he passed away in December 2019 at age 88. I never purchased from him, but a number of coin collectors who I respect a lot (Parthicus, John Anthony, Museumguy, etc.) spoke very highly of him.
Edited by Kamnaskires 08/20/2022 4:28 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
1122 Posts |
Thanks Bob, I also did a Google search that seems to confirm this. I had to make split decision as one of these finally became available within my price range. I had a chance to looks through the fake reports up and down with no match, so I went with instincts. But I've been wrong before. In hand though - the fabric of the coin looks really good and I'm very happy.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
21792 Posts |
I have a gut feeling that provenance is OK in this case, but a documented paper trail or digital record would have far more weight in proving provenance than just the seller's say-so.
Even so, even paper trails and digital records can be faked. Just much less likely with businesses with good reputations to keep.
'The only certain thing in life is death and taxes'
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
1122 Posts |
Quote: ... documented paper trail or digital record Yes indeed, I didn't do this when I first started. I now make a record of each purchase and print and save digitally each receipt. Especially from well known sellers and dealers. I believe provenance is overlooked by many collectors, especially newbies. This coin was purchased over 20 years ago and they both live in the same area so it makes sense. Still wish I had something down on paper though.
Edited by travelcoin 08/20/2022 7:44 pm
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
21792 Posts |
Provenance means a lot, especially with high end ancients. Keep all of your purchase information for every coin of significant value, in an album much like a coin album.
I also have a parallel photograph album of every coin of significant value.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Spain
2752 Posts |
@travelcoin...Very nice looking example  Lovely expressive portrait, well centred and sweet toning. Congrats on a tough addition to your collection.
|
| |
Replies: 6 / Views: 1,018 |
|