Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1940 Jefferson Nickel - Split Planchet Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,438Next Topic  
New Member

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2023  8:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John Arbuckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I have a question about this 1940 nickel I found. I found this nickel while coin roll hunting. I don't consider myself a huge coin collector, but if I find an old coin or some thing that looks neat I usually hold onto it. Does this look like a split Planchet? It weighs 2.59 g compared to the about 5 g that a normal nickel should weigh. In one of the photos in this post I have a 1979 nickel next to it and you can see it's about half as thick as a normal nickel. Do you think this is real? I'm thinking it could be a fake nickel someone got at a fair or made somehow. Any thoughts? Is it worth anything? I'm thinking it's just a fake.

New Member
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2023  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John Arbuckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the photos, they did not upload in the previous post.
1940-Jefferson-Nickel---Split-Planchet-Error?
1940-Jefferson-Nickel---Split-Planchet-Error?
1940-Jefferson-Nickel---Split-Planchet-Error?
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
108000 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2023  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

well hard to get details of the coin from such a huge distance, but it is thinner, and the reverse was obliterated - I say the reverse was sanded down.

In addition, it is best practice to NOT use metal tool to hold your coins. If this was a rare find or a very expensive one, you have a huge potential to damage it and reduce any intrinsic value it would hold.
Edited by Dearborn
02/14/2023 9:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
ijn1944's Avatar
United States
19622 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2023  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As posted, I can't determine from the pics what may be happening. Hope to see full, large and sharp photos. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
681 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2023  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Khromtau to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I can see a hint of lathe lines, so probably turned on a lathe and then soldered?
New Member
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2023  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John Arbuckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try to post some better photos when I get the chance. I'm pretty much thinking it's just a fake or someone was messing around with power tools and they decided to destroy this nickel
New Member
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2023  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John Arbuckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some better photos
1940-Jefferson-Nickel---Split-Planchet-Error?
1940-Jefferson-Nickel---Split-Planchet-Error?
1940-Jefferson-Nickel---Split-Planchet-Error?
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196424 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
coop's Avatar
United States
62064 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2023  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sanded down and was probably a coin that had two halves glued together to make a two headed coin. (Looser coin. Most coin flips are called heads. A two tailed coin would be one for cheaters to use) IMOHO
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,438Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Forums