I've read where someone found a "transitional" Lincoln, so I started to weigh some myself. What is an acceptable range for weights? For instance, anything from '83 on (and some '82's) should weigh 2.51g. I ask because I've found 2 that weigh in at 2.63g. Most are between 2.49 - 2.53-4. Why the difference in these two coins. And, NO, I haven't found any that weigh more than that, but I figure I have a year's worth to weigh yet.
Due to slight varieations in the thickness of the metal strip when it is rolled, the blanks punched from the strip can have slightly varying weights. So the mint has a tolernce range for each coin and as long as the weight of the finished piece is within that range it is concidered to be acceptable.
The weight of a copper plated zinc cent is 2.5 grams +/- .1 grams so the range would be from 2.4 to 2.6 grams. your 2.63 gram coin is a little heavy.
The copper cents are supposed to weigh 3.11 grams +/- .13 grams so their range would be 2.97 - 3.24 grams.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use