Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where's George; Have You Even Found A Bill ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 6,090Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

Austria
391 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  11:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cmcart to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Where's George; Have you even found a bill ? - About 10 days ago I got a 1$ bill in change from a local fast food place in Manhattan.

The 1$ bill was stamped on the front with this message:

Track me at http://www.wheresgeorge.com

The 1 $ bill I checked out Started in Mountain View - Canada 02 september 2015 - Made 2556 miles to Manhattan

Edited by Cmcart
09/28/2015 12:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45696 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Manhattan as in New York? I have found one or two over the years.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1343 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get one in my cash register drawer at work about once a month and enter it on the site.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find them occasionally the last 12 years since I was 16 never entered them cause I was too lazy ;). Something's never change. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1143 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found three since I joined the website in March 2014: two from MrNiceGuy and one that was a two-hitter three-stater from California.

Also, I would recommend obscuring the serial numbers to discourage people from false hits.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3649 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please - when you post bills, blur out the serial number!

Hank (owner of Where's George) is very aggressive at blocking notes so that people don't enter fake hits!
-----Burton
48 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2015  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeta374 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get some here and there at work and enter them in as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2015  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a long time since I've had one of those in hand. The stamp seems to be different than the last one I saw. Has anyone seen different versions of the stamp?
Edited by Biedercoins
09/29/2015 08:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11564 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2015  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rarely receive them but I get one every other year or so perhaps, and when I do, I enter it into the site. I used to participate and mark bills but it just got to be too much work for too little return.

Two things:
1. Most bills leave circulation so quickly that there's not enough time to gather more than 2-3 hits (if any).
2. Most people won't bother to enter the bill on WheresGeorge.com, so you miss many data points.

I love the concept and the web site but those two major issues just make it not worth spending the time in my opinion. Again, in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
801 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2015  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coincollector110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I have never received a WG bill in circulation despite the fact that I've marked over 200 bills since starting and every one else seems to have received a wild bill before.
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2015  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
is very aggressive at blocking notes so that people don't enter fake hits!

You mean if enough people just take pics of every bill they come across and post them online there is a chance we can kill Where's George once and for all?
Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2015  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to see them quite a bit, but not in the last few years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5080 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You used to be able to freely enter your serial numbers on the website.

Then in the last few years you have to be a registered user to enter a serial number.

Combine that with the FED's threat about marking bills and forcing them to stop selling "Where's George" ink stamps good luck for the original project.

NOW if someone wanted to go out on their own and get a stamp made for $6 with a certain phrase and URL well . . . . .

No connection with the seller or past purchase experience with them but I will be contacting them tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Self...em27e1f4dd48

Edited by jack jeckel
09/30/2015 12:10 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11564 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...there is a chance we can kill Where's George once and for all?

You have quite the disdain for WG. I understand the sentiment that it's a waste of time and trivial, but why the vitriol?
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While a sticker on a coin as an advertisement is illegal for all intents and purposes, it does NOT damage the coin in the short term such that people cannot under the minor damage with acetone as many people here have found or other safe methods to the coin and the person.

Now I love coins, they have weight to them and a feel to them. But that doesn't mean I don't also like paper. The $1 bill may cost very little, but the thought in other threads is they cost after replacing and destroying about $2.50 cents for the same life you would get from a $1 coin. when a WG bill hits the proper facility it is likely to go back into that cycle of destruction and re-issuance which raises the cost, and pretty much invalidates the WG concept because unless held the bills risk ending their circulation so WG isn't helped. Also IF they are held then they aren't traveling which again defeats the purpose of WG because the bill is now buried in a graveyard in a sense somewhere to prevent its risk of being reclaimed and reissued as a newer bill.

Aside of those things where WG risks destroying itself with how paper currency works, You could be impaired, nay, damaging a bill someone might want to collect for your own entertainment. I paint coins found in circulation, but again that water-based acrylic paint can be cleaned like the above sticker residue. So can the other "colorized" coins that are using enamel. You can't clean a bill of this stamp ink, nor normal pen ink or even pencil lead.

So as I said here or the other thread, the stamp isn't needed and there is a reason he can no longer sell them on the WG website. If you want to participate you can easily enter your denomination and serial number into the website without needing the advertising. Also since WG website has ad-revenue on the site, he IS making money from these advertisements on the bills, because websites aren't free to run and the advertising revenue on the site I am sure (along with any donations) has an excess to the cost of the site.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3649 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually Hank barely breaks even.

And it's not illegal to mark currency - it's illegal to DEFACE currency which means intentionally making it unfit to circulate.

Finally the FED has nothing to do with circulation of money. The Fed is a private central bank. Money falls under the Dept of the Treasury.

It's amazing how the same untruths constantly circulate despite major efforts and simply sharing facts...

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/faq-rul...php?type=faq
-----Burton
48 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 6,090Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: