|
This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!
To participate in the forum you must log in or register. | Author |
Replies: 9 / Views: 2,643 |
|
|
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts |
I bought this medal on ebay for a total of 21.70,it is supposed to be sterling according to the seller....But it looks like there is rust on the medal,which would lead me to think that its not silver....What do you guys think? Image: 8b5c_1.jpg39.79 KB Image: 8bd5_1.jpg28.29 KB
|
|
|
|
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts |
Most French medals are marked on their rim;
Copper: cuivre Silver: argent sometimes it will be stamped: metal
Maybe your rim is stamped with one of these markings?
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
405 Posts |
schutzenfester Thanks,it does say argent on the rim....but I'm still confused about the rust marks,oh well!!
thanks again
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2830 Posts |
G'day, very interesting medal. I'm not into these, but I look at them from time to time, to admire the imagery, the craftmanship, and sometimes, the pure beauty of them. I find your medal quite interesting, although I don't pretend to understand it.
Rust: I can see a couple of dark patches on the obverse. I'm not sure that they are "rust", but. You might set your mind at ease if you run a magnet over the medal. If there's no attraction, then you're one step closer to identification. If you do have "magnetic silver", I'd keep it as a conversation piece.
Next step, measure the medal, and try to calculate what you would expect it to weigh if it was silver. Then weigh it: most non-silver metals and alloys, that look silver-like, are about one-third lighter than silver. If the weight's wrong, then it's not silver. If the weight's right, it probably is silver.
Whatever those spots are, I'd do something about them. If they are corrosion, then they'll probably "grow". If you search the CCF, under that rarely-spoken word "cleaning", there are suggested methods of removing corrosion, while minimizing potential further damage.
Back to the medal itself: I wonder what it was trying to commemorate &/or promote ? obverse: very tall lady talking to a boy - he's hardly taller than his rifle. She is sitting on what appears to be a muzzle-loading cannon. The cannon is pointing in the direction of some soldiers who appear to be "charging". The soldiers, so far as I can see, are wearing the style of helmet worn by the French and Belgian soldiers in WW1. The boy has both hands over the muzzle of his rifle. When I was a soldier that would result in the award of "immediate, intense, remedial training", which was a lot similar to what earlier generations called "punishment".
Reverse: a lot of items there - stirrups; a book; a wheeled device; a helmet; a rifle; at least two swords; gloves; and a bugle. The lion seems to have been done-in already.
I wish my French was good enough for me to get a handle on the legend on each side.
I'd be interested to hear more from someone who can explain the medal.
I hope your efforts at conserving the medal are successful.
Peter in Oz
Edited by Peter THOMAS 05/01/2008 4:29 pm
|
|
Valued Member
286 Posts |
Hi there, Your Medal is a War Medal.
1911 Silver medal struck in France. Obverse: Youth with Musket and woman in robe seated on a cannon. At base, the words "PRO PATRIA" and around the upper border, the legend "SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM" (Meaning is a Latin adage translated as, "If you want peace, prepare for war" Or ("If you seek peace, prepare for war.") At the lower right border, the name of the artist "P. Grandhomme."
Reverse: At bottom, a lion over the words, "FORCE-COURAGE". In panel around the border, the legend "ENTRAINMENT-PHYSIQUE - PREPARATION MILITAIRE" (Meaning Physically ready and prepared for WAR). In the center, a vertical panel with the words "PRIX DU MINISTRE DE LA GUERRE" (Meaning It is the highest honor Medal OFFERED BY THE MINISTER OF WAR at that time). Around it, various implements of war, including air-plane. At lower right, in small letter, the name of the artist and the date "1911". On the rim, the word, "ARGENT".
Circular: 1 15/16" It should be Exactly (50mm) in diameter
Edited by Silver Gorilla 05/01/2008 12:22 pm
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12437 Posts |
If it is rust and not some other stain or toning, it is possible that it is only a transfer stain from being in contact with an iron object. I found some generic silver coins in an old can of nails in a friends garage one time and the coins were a bit rusty from the nails  . I did not bother cleaning them up and just sold them as bullion(after purchasing them from said friend) but that is not really an option in your case.
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
405 Posts |
Thanks guys for all the Info....the medal is not magnetic,so I guess it might be authentic (Peter THOMAS,  I never liked the rare magnetic silver ,not even as conversation pieces)...as for the rust marks,I was thinking that maybe biokemist6 might be right about the nails or such,afterall something had to gouge those little nicks in there! Silver gorilla...AN AIRPLANE? Are you sure...I cant seem to locate it on the medal 
Edited by Mr Finger 05/01/2008 7:04 pm
|
|
Valued Member
286 Posts |
Mr .Finger Do you see on the revers on the vertical panel with the words "PRIX DU MINISTRE DE LA GUERRE" look over the words at the edge of the top panel and you will see the plane
Edited by Silver Gorilla 05/01/2008 7:40 pm
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
405 Posts |
OHHH,Okay,I thought it was something else....didnt look like a plane 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2830 Posts |
G'day, I think I can see an old style aeroplane. One tip of oits propeller is very near the muzzle of the rifle: am I right ? Now, look to the left of the rifle, there is a spoked wheel, apparently in a fork, but I can't see mush else connected to it. Was the French Army big on unicycles back then ? This is a very interesting medal. Peter
|
| |
Replies: 9 / Views: 2,643 |
|
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

- 1860 Wm Token Miller Ny-491A, George H. Lovett, PCGS MS-64
- 1969 S Lincoln Cent Mint Mark
- 1994-D 1¢ Poorly Aligned Mint Mark
- 1958 Lincoln Cent DDO?
- 1962-Mo Mexico Cinco De Mayo Centennial Gold Medal, PCGS MS-67
- 1952 3 Pence Coin, Or Necklace Charm?
- Commems Collection Classic: 1935-36 California-Pacific International Exposition - Historical Tidbits
- 1817/6 15 Star Large Cent.what?
- 1958 Roosevelt Dime Spike Head Die Crack And Mis-Aligned Die Clash(?)
- Most Humorous Counterfeit 1914-D Lincoln Cent On Ebay This Week
- 1974 Fiji 100 Dollars Gold Proof, King Cakobau, Elizabeth II
- 1961-D Toned Roosevelt Dime Fridb Around Mouth
- 1839 Braided Hair (Booby Head) Large Cent, CAC AU-58BN
- 1918 Illinois Centennial (Lincoln) Half Dollar Commemorative, PCGS MS-68+
- 1950-S Roosevelt Dime RPM
- 1966 Nickel Die Adjustment Strike?
- Will Our Coins Ever Be Valuable?
- 2026 Emerging Liberty Dime Spider Veins?
- Charles I Sixpence - Unattributed Sun Mintmark?
- Error Opinions, 1971-D DDO, 1955-D/S, 1996-P Quarter
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
|
| Coin Community Forum |
© 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums |
| It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. |
 |
|
| |
| |