Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Charles I Sixpence - Unattributed Sun Mintmark?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 42Next Topic  
New Member

Canada
25 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nocreativity2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi everyone,

I recently came across this Charles I Sixpence. From first glance, it looks like a 5th bust Group E.

However, when I do more research, I can't find any example with a sun mintmark, not can I find it listed in a catalogue.

Any help is welcome!

Charles-I-Sixpence---Unattributed-Sun-Mintmark?
Charles-I-Sixpence---Unattributed-Sun-Mintmark?
Pillar of the Community
mikev50's Avatar
United States
2247 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The Charles I silver sixpence from the Tower Mint, struck under Parliament between 1642 and 1649, features the mint mark of a sun and belongs to Group III, type 3a3. This coin is notable for its historical context during the English Civil War and its relatively scarce production compared to other denominations.

Details of the Charles I Silver Sixpence
This coin holds significant historical and numismatic value.

Mint Mark — The coin features a sun mint mark, indicating its production during a tumultuous period in English history.
Scarcity — Tower Mint sixpences are relatively scarce compared to Tower shillings, often due to poorer manufacturing quality and irregular flans.
Historical Context — Struck between 1642 and 1649, this coin reflects the financial struggles of the Parliament during the English Civil War.
Weight and Composition — The sixpence typically weighs around 3.03 grams and is made of silver, characteristic of hammered coinage of the era.


Pillar of the Community
publius's Avatar
United States
877 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add publius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to my 17th ed. Seaby's catalogue, Charles I sixpences of three types were struck at the Tower Mint under Parliamentary authority, and the mint-mark ranges given for the three types all include the sun. That is "4^3 Briot-type bust, ‹P› to sun", "4^4; late Aberystwyth bust, ‹R› to sceptre" (sceptre being the one after sun in the sequence), and "4^5 squat bust of crude style, eye and sun", where ^3 indicates a superscript digit in their system, et cetera.

I don't know if that helps at all.
Edited by publius
Yesterday 10:01 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 42Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to rattle this change. Forums