Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 D Lincoln Cent, Possible Doubled Die Ear?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 369Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Weesee41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am new to collecting and forums. I found this coin and thought maybe it is a DDO but can't find any online. Does anyone know if it is and what the value may be. Just in case it's needed, the weight is 2.48 grams.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  01:25 am  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like maybe Mechanical Doubling. Though this one is larger than the one in the post below.

http://goccf.com/t/345559
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42835 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Weesee41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcoming.
If it is a MD, are they worth anything?
I also will be asking a lot of questions thru this forum. I have a few coins that may be errors and a few that came in those little white squares with the windows. They look like they might be proof coins but I don't know how to tell the difference between proof and business when they look so shinny.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1139 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
again, keep asking away, we enjoy helping . One really good site (among others) is error-ref.com which showcases all the major known types of coin errors, so if your 'error' coin kinda matches something there, then you can post pics here and we collectively can confirm what you have. It should show pics of Machine Doubling vs actual doubling... Machine Doubling is not worth a premium. Proof coins are really bright and flashy shiny, and you can compare them to regular mint state coins to see the differences.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5424 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It could be MD, but it could also be a doubled ear lobe. Notice that the angle it slightly different and it dosen't travel all the way up the ear.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Weesee41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone and thanks for the website. Will be checking that out.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55478 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD or coin contact. The mark on the hair tuft is what made me think it was contact. But either way, it is not a doubled earlobe. On a doubled earlobe, they area in question will be raised, not incuse:
Enlarge these images and see what I'm talking about:

Raised above the design or above the fields, not an incuse mark on the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Weesee41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the help. I understand now that I have looked at all the pictures. Will be starting a new discussion about a different coin very soon
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55478 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to see what you find.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. The doubled ear has always been of interest to me. I have yet to find one but I've learned to use PCGS Photograde as one of the ways to confirm or deny my suspicions when it comes to ear doubling. There is not a known 1995-D doubled ear that I know of but I did go ahead and make this comparison for you. It will show you how the design elements, features and size comparison should look side by side when comparing your coin(s) to non-error coins or non doubled dies. I have enlarged the photo of this 1995-D Lincoln (right side of pic) to the same size as your picture and oriented them in the same fashion. If you run a straight edge across the bottom of the earlobes you will see they are at the exact same level. A doubled ear would fall below that of the stock picture I have taken compliments of PCGS. Your coin's earlobe is a result of MD. Hope this helps.
Learn More...
United States
108505 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: