Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM January, 2022 New Releases

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,991Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
955 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  08:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are the new offerings:

5 ounce pure silver six-coin subscription series entitled "The bigger picture" EACH coin $599.95 MINTAGE: 1300 No GST/HST

1. Bluenose
2. The Beaver
3. The Caribou (wooden box to fill the subscription)
4. The Coat of Arms
5. The Loon
6. The Polar Bear

Pure gold coin, Remembering Alexander Graham Bell
7.8 grams $999.95 MINTAGE: 2000 NO GST/HST

2022 Baby Gift Welcome to the World Silver coin (feet)
$59.95 Mintage: 20,000 NO GST/HST

2022 Best wishes on your wedding day
$119.85 Mintage: 10,000 NO GST/HST

2022 Classic Canadian Uncirculated set
$26.95 Mintage75,000 PLUS TAXES

2022 Annual Favourites Subscription $26.95 plus taxes

the usual 2022 Gift sets (100,000 mintage)

Birthday 5 coin card $21.95 plus taxes
Baby 5 coin gift card set 21.95 plus taxes
Wedding 5 coin gift card set 21.95 plus taxes
O Canada 5 coin gift card set 21.95 plus taxes
That is it for January 22 issues

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
Edited by New1954
01/05/2022 09:00 am
Valued Member
Canada
280 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy new year everyone!

Thanks New1954 for the January list.

This month's release is small.

I'm not impressed by the "The bigger picture". It's like the big coin series but uglier.

The Alexander Graham Bell coin looks nice. But $1000 for 1/4 oz gold is too much. I guess there will be other Alexander Bell coins (even a bullion one?) coming this year.
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a cheap month for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7552 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@New1954: Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Pure gold coin, Remembering Alexander Graham Bell
7.8 grams $999.95 MINTAGE: 2000 NO GST/HST

The 150th anniversary of Alexander Graham Bell's birth was commemorated back in 1997 with a 14K gold $100 coin by the Royal Canadian Mint.

Personally, I think more of coins that commemorate a person's birth rather than their death.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/05/2022 10:55 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@New1954 thanks for the posting and a happy new year to all.

To editorialize on this release, I am quite disappointed.

Last January's launch included the $1 SD and the Fine Proof Set... Where are they this year?
There were 14 items on the 2021 January release... this year only 10, half of which are the UNC giftware sets.
While I am happy that the $100 Gold has dropped by $100 in price from 2021 it is still the 20mm form factor. While the design is better than last year's Bluenose design, I don't feel the size will allow the design to shine.. too small. Also the MC mailout is misleading in that the coin is shown in close up... It is not clear that it is only dime sized. For the 1st year since I have been collecting RCM NCLT, I will not be adding the $100 Gold Quarter Ounce to my order.

I quite like the look 5oz silver set but given the history of RCM NCLT Silver, I will look at this on the secondary market in 5-10 yrs where it will be priced closer to bullion vs. the over 3x premium it currently carries.

Back to one favourite criticism of the RCM. I can look at the US Mint & the Monnaie de Paris and see their full 2022 program and release dates... The Royal Mint in the UK has not released their 2022 program but all annual sets are available as of now. When will the RCM finally get to the point where they drop the secrecy on their program & dates... I can only imagine that they are afraid that they will not be able to meet a commitment made more than 1 month in advance... esp given the fact that it can take months for a coin to be delivered after order... (I am still waiting for the $1 Peace SD).

So.. For January this year for me... my order will be the Classic Unc Set... A far cry from the $1,500+ I spent in January last year.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2891 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering there was no December release you would have expected a bigger January release.

The new 5 oz series is a big disappointment. They should have included gold plating like all the previous big coin series to make it more attractive.

It is hard to pay $600 per coin or $3600 for the whole set when the design is so plain. Compounding the unappealing design is the very high mintage of 1300. If you recall, the Avro Arrow and Snowbird 5 oz coins had 1000 mintage, which resulted in a quick sellout and a high secondary market value.

If the mint wanted to invigorate the big coin series they should have chosen a more innovative approach. Perhaps a 6 coin Rhodium series?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MoneyPenney

I am on the fence regarding the Big Coins. I think that Colourizing and Selective Gold Plating has run its course. I am not against the overall design... maybe Rhodium plating would have invigorated the series... at least it would be different but that would have likely increased the overall price and that is still too high given secondary market prices for the 5oz Silver coins. I fully agree about the mintage but would like to see a smaller threshold... 500 or 750 sets... It is very difficult to claim rarity with 1,300 units out there in as small a market as Canada. I wonder if this is a commissioned set (like the Peace $) with a small number available to the RCM... We will see soon enough as it is unlikely to sell out quickly at 1300 units if there aren't a bunch pre-allocated.
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was really looking for a colored Blue nose silver dollar commemorative in December. RCM missed that one. Now a slow start this year.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 2022, the Canadian Nickel will be 100 years old. I collect them and am bracing myself for all kinds of holes to fill this year. I might consider hanging it up and be happy with a 100 years of Canadian Nickels Set.
Too expensive to keep up with.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Canada
675 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy New Year folks! I fully agree with the thoughtful comments above.

Quote:
Back to one favourite criticism of the RCM. I can look at the US Mint & the Monnaie de Paris and see their full 2022 program and release dates... The Royal Mint in the UK has not released their 2022 program but all annual sets are available as of now. When will the RCM finally get to the point where they drop the secrecy on their program & dates... I can only imagine that they are afraid that they will not be able to meet a commitment made more than 1 month in advance.

Yes please!!! How to "up vote" this suggestion so RCM actually pays attention and acts? Two observations:

1. There is fatigue and a lack of interest in the NCLT collecting market these days. Other mints are doing various things to remain relevant. What is RCM doing?

2. I do not understand how RCM is "not able to meet a commitment made more than 1 month is advance". Respectfully, all PC excuses aside, it is YOUR BUSINESS to make coins!

I would love to see a 2022+ published annual program with release dates. It benefits everyone. Question is, will RCM listen to their customers?
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can't look at the US Mint product schedule and see the full program and release dates for 2022. Items are only shown through March and some of those (the proof ASE and Purple Heart coins) have already changed to TBD for release. Also most items (even some upcoming on the first quarter) show no images or pricing. I don't know about Monnaie de Paris, but the US Mint is no better than the RCM.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1304 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some must be new here. The Royal Canadian Mint used to have only 4 releases a year with larger brochure/booklets mailed out. It was a customer survey that moved it to 10 or 12 releases in the year. Something I should have collected -(instead of coins) all the brochures - a lot of details on every coin, and no cost involved. I'd be a rich man now.

Edited by Dcadon
01/06/2022 8:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7552 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know about Monnaie de Paris, but the US Mint is no better than the RCM.

This is simply not true. Though exact dates are not always available for all of the year's planned releases, at least a collector who views the US Mint schedule has a sense of what and when releases are planned. There is no parallel schedule published by the Royal Canadian Mint.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
199 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dcadon, I saved the brochures. Funny the last while I was thinking about getting rid of them now after your comment I'll have to keep them lol.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
675 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those large brochure/booklets had a fairly wide distribution. They were very enjoyable to browse. RCM can do any number of releases per year - the ask is for a published annual program/schedule.

Cheers!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6680 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although this secrecy does look weird, I think there is a good reason behind it: this prevents some folks knowing their next "to be loaded / hoarded item" and planning better finances distribution. When you do not know the plan, you are buying what you like and what is available now. With the knowledge, you will not afraid to skip in order to concentrate on future release. This approach does harm collectors, but prevents many coins to be untouched and others hoarded.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,991Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: