Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM January, 2022 New Releases

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,116Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It strikes me as unusual that the Royal Canadian Mint (R C M) would not include a commemorative silver dollar (SD) in its January release. The Mint has described the coin as its "Flagship" product in the past and to not include one in its first release of the year seems strange.

It make me wonder:

1. Will the annual SD be included when the January coins are announced to the general public on Tuesday? Neither the annual SD nor the Fine Silver Proof Set that typically includes a selectively gold-plated version of the SD are "instant" sellouts that don't survive a Masters Club exclusive ordering period, so lower-volume collectors would not be disadvantaged by a general-only release.

2. Will the SD will have its own, separate release next week (or at some point in January)?

3. Will the SD release be held to February?

4. Has the Mint decided to discontinue the 36 mm SD? (Gasp!)

Thoughts?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
560 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

All good assumptions.

IMO I believe it's due to a shortage of staff due to this dreadful pandemic (now on the rise). Hence, fewer coins every month and probably a drop in the enhanced or more decretive coins that would be minted if it was a normal year ahead. Just my thoughts, but could be more to it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1750 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pocket change 50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know the years I was active or followed monthly mint releases, 2012-2016 there never was a December release. It was a month people actually got a break. It probably let the mint catch up, in all areas minting and mailing. It's surprising how mundane and small the January release is. Everyone has contributed some great speculation as to why the small release. I will add my theories, could it be related to the economic situation being unstable, meaning less demand for collecting coins? Is it possible lack of silver could be an influence? I have noticed in December, many places are sold out of bullion coins! It's mail me when in stock. A few people I follow not into coins are starting to partner with bullion dealers to support their YouTube channels.'Then saying the dealer is having trouble keeping up with filling orders. Now I truly don't know what this may mean in the silver market? When I started collecting coins silver had just reached $50'an oz in 2011. All of a sudden there was bullion/coin buyer adds and lots of dealers were doing promotional shows about investing in silver. When prices tanked they all disappeared. Well they're on the rise again. So I'm not sure if this means anything? It's just what I have noticed in the past 3 months!

Also hasn't the discussion since 2014 been the mint needs to cut back on the number of releases? I'm glad the silver dollar or pure silver proof set isn't in this offering! I need to recover from buying myself the 2017 silver legacy to the penny set and related December spending. The virus has reduced my disposable income! Just maybe the Mint is having staffing shortages in relation to the virus and need to make priorities changes in moving staff around!

For those who wait months for orders, this has been a long standing issue. I remember a person who waited just over a year for a special wrap farewell penny roll! There's been so much talk since 2012 about shipping delays, it's an interesting look back at history. One time their warehouse flooded causing mass delays. Dealing with the mint, has helped me not be overly anxious for delivery of any online order. As there's always some glitches periodically in logistics. Many businesses are needing to function with reduced staff!! As long as food getting to my town isn't impacted, I can be patient with non essentials being delayed!
Edited by pocket change 50
01/08/2022 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1750 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pocket change 50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where's my manners Happy New Year's to everyone and may you all enjoy the area of collecting you pursue! May many great bargains and stunning coins come your way. I wish everyone a year filled with satisfaction and happiness in all areas of life. May 2022 be the year to help forget the previous two years!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

It make me wonder:

1. Will the annual SD be included when the January coins are announced to the general public on Tuesday? Neither the annual SD nor the Fine Silver Proof Set that typically includes a selectively gold-plated version of the SD are "instant" sellouts that don't survive a Masters Club exclusive ordering period, so lower-volume collectors would not be disadvantaged by a general-only release.

2. Will the SD will have its own, separate release next week (or at some point in January)?

3. Will the SD release be held to February?

4. Has the Mint decided to discontinue the 36 mm SD? (Gasp!)

The answers are in!

1. Sort of. The SD design was not revealed, but it was included as part of the "Annual Favourites Subscription" description that was included in the January release.

2. Still possible. It was only referenced on the"Annual Favourites Subscription" sales page, with an indication that its design will be revealed "soon."

3. It's slated to start shipping in February, but it's possible it will still be formally announced in January. Its price is listed as $69.95 CAD.

4. Thankfully, the SD will continue!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/11/2022 09:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
596 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

I sincerely hope you are right but am still feeling a bit burned by the unannounced move of the 1/4 oz Gold from 27mm to 20mm last year. I get that 27mm is too large for an unalloyed quarter ounce of gold but this move has disappointed me significantly. My collection of $100 Gold stretches from the Montreal Olympics dual issue (22K & 14K) back in 1976... and ends in 2020.

The RCM have said the February coin will be a proof Silver Dollar. There is no commitment that I have seen to retain the 36mm form factor and I would not be surprised to see a new Proof Silver Dollar that shares the Loon form factor or even the 34mm form factor used by many of the $5 NCLT releases, many of which have been highlighted in your (@commems) excellent release retrospectives. The Loon has been issued in 99.99% Silver in the past and in fact a gold plated silver loon is included in every "Fine Silver Proof Set" so there would be little cost to retooling.

The other interesting thing is that the "Annual Favourites" includes the Classic Unc set, the Proof SD and the Specimen Set... Why no mention of the Fine Proof Set... Are they retooling the plastic case for a Loon factor Commemorative SD... OK this is beginning to sound a bit like a "Tinfoil Hat/Conspiracy Theory" rant but it reflects the nature of my relationship with the RCM... I have lost the trust. I anticipate that I will be scaling back this year and it is quite likely that my Diamond MC level will not renew into 2023. I anticipate working the secondary markets & auctions for any RCM NCLT... it is available in relative abundance at much more reasonable prices than from the "factory".
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6681 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think, movement of CD to Feb release, it just sales perspective re-shuffle. RCM tries to get it under subscription of other base annual items. Since the Classic Set will be in Jan, the Silver Dollar goes under Feb. All items should be available without any subscription via dealers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr: Yes, I did make the assumption that the SD mentioned would be of the 36mm diameter. Of course, anything is possible!

I understand your wariness regarding the Mint. I've been leery of the Mint's practices ever since it dropped the Brilliant Uncirculated version of the SD a few years back. It was still selling fairly well at the time in comparison to many of the Mint's other issues, but was dropped anyway (until it was included in the Special Proof Set last year). I had been collecting the BU SDs for decades and was definitely disappointed that the run ended.

Edited by commems
01/11/2022 1:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems We differ in opinion. The changing of the Purple Heart release to TBD, the same for the ASE. The continual changes in Morgan and Peace dollars and ASE release dates and household limits. What ever happened to the 1 oz military silver medals from the 2021 schedule? Are there any images (even renderings) or pricing of products past Feb 7? The US Mint also usually adds in other releases. I'll stick with the US mint being no better than the RCM.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll stick with the US mint being no better than the RCM.

To each, his own. I'd much rather have a schedule that, at a minimum, tells me what is coming vs. a black hole for new releases. I can at least make rudimentary plans for the former, not so much for the latter.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What ever happened to the 1 oz military silver medals from the 2021 schedule?

I don't recall 1 oz silver military medals being announced by the Mint. I recall 2.5 ounce Armed Forces medals appearing on the schedule, and the first two - the Air Force and Coast Guard - were issued (beginning in June 2021). The release of the medals was intended to be a multi-year program from the start, so I would anticipate additional releases in 2022.

@smuglr: Do you have a link to the announcement of the one-ounce military medals? I'd like to learn more about them.

Edited by commems
01/15/2022 05:36 am
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems I do not have a link. (I'm pretty basic - couldn't even quote lol). They were the same 2 I believe, on the schedule for winter 2021 possibly, and then moved to the bottom of the 2021 schedule 'TBD'. The last I heard they may be added in 2022.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@smuglr: I did a bit of digging. There are currently two one-ounce Armed Forces silver medals on the US Mint's 2022 schedule: Air Force and Cost Guard. They are currently listed as "Summer 2022" releases.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,116Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: