Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1809 Capped Bust Half Dollar Doubled Edge Lettering

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 470Next Topic  
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  5:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kevboe11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey you'll, can someone give me any info on this 1809 Half dollar that has what looks like doubled edge letters, more specifically ENTS in CENTS. Its a plain edge also. Ive read that doubles and tripled edge letters can command a premium. Thanks
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is actually quite common as well as many varieties of misplaced letters (Example: FIFTY CENTS ORALF A DOLLAR).. When all of the words are doubled or perhaps tripled is when it becomes rarer. But one or two words doubled is quite common. This is due to the machine they used to imprint the edges. But I could be wrong as I only own a few bust halves myself.
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doubled and tripled edge lettering is quite uncommon. Can you post pictures of the other words on the edge, and an obverse and reverse photo of the coin?
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevboe11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It also looks like FTY in FIFTY is doubled. Also there are faint letters present in the void spaces between the words

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevboe11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  01:06 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not entirely convinced this has doubled edge lettering. But there seems to be something going on with the lettering...

Pictured below is mine with tripled lettering, I just noted it on the holder and kept it. I haven't seen a bust half with doubled/tripled edge lettering sold at auction, so that makes it tough to come up with a value.

Your coin does not have dramatic doubling, so I would assume no additional value. It still is a very nice F/VF, and an early date as well.

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevboe11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at the first and third picture you can see "ghost" letters in the blank field between the real letters. More prominent in person.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 470Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: