Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Morgan's?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 531Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Everyone!
I just bought a few Morgan's from a shop I assumed would be a reputable source. I took them home and ended up weighing them and they are fakes. Now I am questioning the others I have acquired. Can you please take a look and let me know your thoughts?

All these weighed correctly. However, the 1887 was slightly under than the others.

On a side note, what do you look for that gives you confidence when buying?

Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow they look fine
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  01:54 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These look like genuine coins. Mint made coins have tolerances, so not every coin will weigh perfectly. Additionally, some of these coins have wear to them, which would lower the weight, of course. These coins exhibit wear and circulation damage, which most counterfeits don't have. The details are correct for the type and the color is natural.

Get to know the sound, look, and feel of silver in your hand. A scale and a strong magnet are primarily what I used to check silver coins when I first started out. Experience is key when it comes to Counterfeit Detection.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44726 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Here is guide to mint tolerances: http://goccf.com/t/251134#2113155
You can also do the tissue test and ice test.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything here that screams fake. Some of the coins appear to have hairlines from cleaning at some point. Others show some wear. It has been my experience when weighing Morgan dollars that 26.73 grams is normal weight for coins in the MS to XF range. VF coins seem to average about 26.50 grams, F condition coins seem to be around 26.25 grams, VG coins about 25.97 grams. Sorry but I have no data for G-4 or AG-3 culls.
Learn More...
United States
112441 Posts
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the assurance and info. I checked these and all silver with a magnet but did not weigh them until yesterday. I think I'll start bringing a scale to weigh before purchasing from now on. Lesson learned.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17689 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What did these coins weigh?
Gary Schmidt
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fakes? They were embarrassingly low, weighed 22.8g.

All pictured weighed 26.7g besides the 1887 which was at 26.5g.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 531Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: