Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unattributed Greek Bronze?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 384Next Topic  
United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  2:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AncientNumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a lot of 20 Greek coins from vcoins for 3 each and they arrived on Friday. I can't seem to find this one anywhere online or in reference books. Is it possible it is unattributed and maybe quite rare?
Sorry if I'm getting too excited lol! I've managed to take a guess at it, but it's hard without any other examples identified:
Antiochos IV
AE 11
1.35g
Rev: EπI ANTIOXOΣ
Obv. Front facing Apollo (or Helios?)

Now I've managed to find one other coin a friend owns that seems to be the same type, but it's in far worse condition, the bottom photo is that one. It belongs to @january1may.

So essentially I'm asking if this is indeed unattributed and maybe rare, but any comments would be appreciated. And sorry if I've made any mistakes here, this is my first post on the site!

Best wishes, AncientNumis.
Learn More...
United States
112160 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If it were mine, given the ANTIOXOΣ, I'd reach out to Brian Kritt for an assist on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4593 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

To me, the obverse looks like a front facing ram's head....

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3900 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It belongs to @january1may.
Indeed it does!

I got my example several weeks ago at Vasya's shop, expected it to be easily attributable because of the blatant lettering, but couldn't find anything that matched, and then was stymied by my apparent inability to make photos (of my example) where the lettering was actually legible.

Then I accidentally encountered AncientNumis posting pictures of their purchases on Discord, and immediately noticed the similarity of the lettering.

In retrospect I hadn't realized that the lettering on my example indeed said ANTIOXOΣ and not (as would have been expected) ANTIOXOY, which is the usual form used by Seleucid rulers; perhaps the coin is not Seleucid, but e.g. from the city of Antioch. But searches along those lines did not match anything either.

Here's a different set of pictures of the OP's coin, under a different angle, cropped from a group photo...

Unfortunately it looks like their example and mine aren't die matches, at least on the reverse; the OXO is a lot more bunched up on my coin. If I do manage to make pics where the lettering is legible I would immediately try to post them here.
For the record, my coin is 10 mm and 1.38 grams.

that at least on the OP set of pics the obverse looks like a facing ram's head, or maybe goat's head; but it's radiate, which animals usually aren't, I think? I have no idea; there's nothing I could find that's at all like that lettering.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3900 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We ended up getting the answer on another forum: the first line, which we read as EΠI, was actually EPY.

Turns out this is a civic bronze from Erythrai, Ionia, under a magistrate named Antiochus.

Still searching for a reference though! It doesn't appear to be on Wildwinds and Google doesn't find anything.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 384Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: