Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

February 2022 RCM New Releases

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 3,422Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
596 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@loonielewy... What are you doing to me ... You dropped me in a rabbit hole..

I get a print copy of the monthly catalogue sent to me and it was delivered yesterday... You can't make out the image of the twoonie so no answer there however the copy says "A specimen $1 and a specimen 50 cent coin (Both are only available as part of this set)"... So the $1... no issues... the swift fox will be unique to this set which is consistent as there has been an unique loon style dollar in the specimen set every year for quite a while now. The 50 cent however... There is a 50 in the Unc Set and the Proof Set; yes they are not in specimen finish but there has only been 1 annual specimen set since the retirement of the $2 baby animals sets a few years ago.

Is this either sloppy copy writing on the brochure or an inadvertent announcement of a 2nd specimen set this year that would not include the swift fox loon and the 50c but would include twoonie, quarter dime and nickel... Time to brush off my tin foil hat
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1008 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What are you doing to me ... You dropped me in a rabbit hole.
You're welcome. .

No luck at the PO. Later, I was told. I did find a photo of the set on Ebay, and glad to report, it looks like the old style toonie is still there.

Quote:
$1 and a specimen 50 cent coin (Both are only available as part of this set)"... So the $1... no issues.

Don't drive yourself crazy about the 50 cent piece. We know they are in rolls and the UNC and proof sets. They're just blowing smoke about the 50 cent. Of course you can only get it in specimen finish in the set. Same as the 5, 10, 25. Who would have known. .

I don't think there will be a 2nd Specimen set. Not with missing denoms. Now that they are $60, I will source a toonie like usual and save the $50+ for something else. I'm not big on the fox loon.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
560 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@loonielewy

I've ordered the set from TSC and it show the old version toonie. That doesn't mean that it is the one that we're getting, But hopefully.

Link:

https://www.tsc.ca/2022-Specimen-Co...nav=R:712685
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1008 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good jimper. Looks like we're OK this year, but who knows when that will change. The Mint just copy and pasted the image of the toonie from the UNC set to the Specimen set. They should have it together more than that. All we ask is represent them as they are. Shake my head.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
596 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All we ask is represent them as they are.

They do have a history of using Artist Renders rather than actual product photos... This has caused more than one tornado-rant
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have any of you folks seen the Specimen set in hand? The Mint site shows the toonie as the new version. Not the old version which was the last one going. I hope it's just another Mint misrepresentation as I want to keep the old style years going. I hope the PO has one, I'm headed there today. Keep you posted.

Seems someone added the circulation images to the item instead of the specimen renders. Either the employee clicked the wrong image, or they just don't exist.

Seems all of the coins' images except for the dollars' contain 'circulation' in the image filename. The dollars' image filenames don't contain 'specimen', but they also don't contain 'circulation'.

When you work with computers, you have a harder time paying full attention to details. Just the way it is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2894 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2022  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had a discussion with my LCS owner and he was not very happy with the RCM direct sales. His volume is not high and he gets a very small discount... insufficient to really make any money. He makes his cash on non-current year NCLT, foreign issues, bullion and Circulating coins. He will not bring in high cost NCLT without a specific customer order because it just doesn't move fast enough... Sinking $4,000 in an ounce of gold that will sit on the shelf for 18 months is not a great business... especially since he will ultimately have to discount and consume his discount. His opinion is similar to that voiced by many on this forum... Too many issues, too many similar and derivative designs and no compelling demand from the community.

It got significantly worse with the $20 for $20 direct sales model and has never really recovered. He also has a large amount of post 2010 Silver that sits on the shelf and doesn't move even with hefty discounts from original list. He brings in the annual standards... Unc Sets, SD, Proof Set, Spec Set etc.

@vonigohcr, I believe the LCS owners are suffering because of 2 major reasons.

1. The rise in internet retailing. Prior to the internet people bought coins through LCSs or through mail orders to LCSs. Or sold coins to LCSs. Now there are so many internet options like eBay, craiglist, Kijji, FB Market Place, etc. people no longer have to step foot in LCSs. Larger selection and lower prices on the internet negates regular visits to LCSs. Why sell coins to local coins shops for fraction of their value when you could do better selling them yourselves.

2. Changing demographics. Back in the 1960's collecting coins and stamps was quite popular. Now hardly anyone collect them, especially younger people. Too many distractions for young people. Video gaming is probably the number 1 passion for young men.

If you go coin shows you can see the dealers tend to be older people. Same with customers. You seldom see anyone under 30 there.
Pillar of the Community
560 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received the 2022 $50 Maple Leaves in Motion coin a few days ago and I must say it's a beautiful coin. Nice that it's done on a 5 oz canvas.

Below are some pic's for your viewing.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
962 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2022  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimper

very nice. I received notification from RCM that mine has just been shipped. looking forward to this one for sure. Thank you for the pics. STUNNNNING.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
678 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Feb 7 - 2022 $50 Maple Leaves in Motion Awaiting Stock at RCM website.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2022  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive coin. From an overall appearance standpoint, it reminds me of the 2007 Polar Year $20 silver coin that featured a blue colour via "plasma." The colour was achieved via a different process, but the final effect is somewhat similar.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
560 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2022  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@New1954, @commems

Although the coin is attractive, the Blue Rhodium Plating is very dark to get the full affect of the beautiful blue color. Had to add lighting to capture the full beauty of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Although the coin is attractive, the Blue Rhodium Plating is very dark to get the full affect of the beautiful blue color. Had to add lighting to capture the full beauty of the coin.

That's unfortunate: Using enhanced lighting on brown copper/bronze coins and deeply toned silver coins is a very common technique used to bring out the details on a coin.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
596 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2022  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
February Release Update: 2 new releases announced, tied to QEII's accession day.

1oz Platinum (99.95%) - Platinum Jubilee - FV $300 - 30mm diameter - Reverse Proof - Mintage: 325 $3,099.95
2-Coin Set commemorating Platinum Jubilee - Canada-UK Joint Release - Mintage 5,500 $249.95
- 1 oz Silver (99.99%) - FV $20 - 38mm diameter - Proof
- 1 oz Silver (99.9%) - FV 2GBP - 38.6mm diameter - Proof
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2894 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2022  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Feb 7 - 2022 $50 Maple Leaves in Motion Awaiting Stock at RCM website.

It was sold out long before Feb.7. It was first available to MC Diamond Tier on Janury 25. Sold out next day. Most MC members missed out on the coin.

A few coins was available on public release day, Feb.1, from dealers but were snapped up quickly.

Current price on eBay is around $1000.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 3,422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: