Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1868 1 Dollar Gold - Real Or Fake ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 528Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  12:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this in my collection for many years. I was looking it over and thought it just doesn't look right. I bought it in a small bag of scrap gold, so I know I have nothing in it. Is it counterfeit? It weighs 1.64 grams which is close but the diameter is 15.18mm when it should be 14.3mm. I hope my pictures are clean enough. Thanks for your help and opinions.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be an ex-jewelry piece, thus increasing the diameter. Nothing stands out as fake to me, it just has a harsh cleaning. I say genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There doesn't seem to be any trace of LIBERTY on the headband and overall appearance is crude. This is a commonly-counterfeited date and I vote fake. Hopefully it's actually gold.
Even if genuine the cleaning and rough surfaces would mean the coin is valued basically for the gold content.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's that too, it could be counterfeit and gold. That is possibly why it was in a scrap pile. An XRF test can verify the gold content.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iontyre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait a minute, Red Book and other sources say the diameter of the type II and type III gold dollars was 15mm, not 14.3...
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's how you spot the fake 1868 gold dollar. The weak ghost "I" in America is the big giveaway. The I in your coinappears a little weak and the lack of appearance of LIBERTY leads me to believe it's fake.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
01/27/2022 2:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Wait a minute, Red Book and other sources say the diameter of the type II and type III gold dollars was 15mm, not 14.3.

I got the 14.3 from PCGS site.

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any trace of LIBERTY on the headband and overall appearance is crude. This is a commonly-counterfeited date and I vote fake

Liberty is barely visible but you have to hold the coin at certain angles. Yes, she is a bit on the crude side. In hand it looks very good but when viewed with a loupe, that's when the alarms go off.

Quote:
An XRF test can verify the gold content.

This has been on my bucket list.

Quote:
The weak ghost "I" in America is the big giveaway.

She definitely has the weak I in Liberty.

I appreciate all the input. Personally, I'm leaning towards knock-off but deep down inside I was hoping for better news.
Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are your thoughts on the authenticity of this 1868? - albeit jewelry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294752933324
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the authenticity of this 1868? - albeit jewelry

They do look like a match. Doesn't mean his is real but I like the bid.

Thanks for the link machine20.
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ghost I is the key marker. I gave mine to a friend's son who is becoming a collector a few years back amongst other known fakes. I've bought more gold dollars at this point to never make the same mistake again....but buyer beware of the 1868.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
01/28/2022 10:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The ghost I is the key marker. I gave mine to a friend's son who is becoming a collector a few years back amongst other known fakes. I've bought more gold dollars at this point to never make the same mistake again....but buyer beware of the 1868.

Thanks DoctorBurnzy. Great advise. These gold coins came from two different scrap gold purchases. Not a penny lost.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 528Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: