Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

English Hammered Silver Identification - Edwardian?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 476Next Topic  
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  2:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chirrrs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have three coins here that appear to be English hammered silver, possibly all from Edward I-IV. I looked at some that I believe were from a Henry and there were some similarities on at least one of these. I'm pretty new to ancients and medievals, so I have tried just using online resources so far. I haven't yet bought any books as I'm still trying to figure out what I would like to focus on. I'm also a little concerned about the authenticity of these, because while they're certainly not expensive, they just don't sound like silver to me. They have no ring to them. Would I be able to test these on a sigma tester? Anyway, here are the coins and what my best guesses are, hopefully this forum can shed some light on these. If additional photos or closeups are needed, let me know and I can take more!

#1 - Edward I (Canterbury)
This is the one I feel the most sure about. Legends are pretty legible and I was able to read CANTOR on the reverse.

#2 - Unknown
I can't read anything of the legends on this one, as it seems to have been smashed pretty good. Based on the cross and reverse design, it looks like maybe Edward I or II?

#3 - Unknown
This one is giving me a bit of trouble. There are good amounts of the legend that are legible, but I can't seem to find anything that matches with it. On the obverse at 4-6 o'clock it looks like I can make out DVS. Maybe the end of EDWARDVS? After that, REX is clear. The next letters are AN, then it starts to get hard to tell. Maybe an R or X? The fourth letter is barely there, but it could be a D. On the reverse, LONDON is legible enough to make out. The circle in the centers of the three petals is something that I was having a hard time finding in examples online. Maybe that can be a helpful characteristic in identification?

Edited by chirrrs
01/30/2022 2:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5427 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On #3, I think ... DVS REX ANGL ... with small rings (annulets or annelets) as punctuation, is clear enough to go with.

When looking at coins like this, I always try to remember that they were copied all over the Low Countries, and if there is a monarch's name or reverse inscription that doesn't fit, it is likely to be one of these official imitations.
Edited by tdziemia
01/30/2022 2:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
23779 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also on #3, the rev seems to read LON DON CIVI TAS, so you have the mint.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United Kingdom
464 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#1 is Canterbury and the obverse legend is EDWA R ANGL DNS HYB. This means it is Type 10 or 11 (1305-14).

The crown is the main diagnostic, so going any further is tricky. By the apparently healthy left ornament, I would go for Type 10, probably 10ab6 (1305) but possibly 10cf1-2 (1305-7). That's Edward I.

What's the weight and diameter of each of them?
Edited by JohnConduitt
01/31/2022 03:32 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
464 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#3 is London with an obverse legend of EDWARDVS REX ANGLI(E) and annulets in the legend and between the pellets on the reverse, which makes it Edward III.

The Ns are Roman, not Lombardic, with the bar reversed, which I think makes it Class C of the 4th coinage, Pre-Treaty, 1351-1352 (S 1584) like this http://www.yorkcoins.com/h5198_%E2%...don_mint.htm
Edited by JohnConduitt
01/30/2022 8:24 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
464 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#2 has little to go on. The reverse has CIVITAS, which means it's London, Bristol, Canterbury, Durham or York.

The obverse seems to have REX at the bottom, so if it is an Edward, the legend would have to be EDWARDUS REX ANGL FR, EDWARDUS REX A(I)N or EDWARDUS REX ANGL(IE), which is Edward III. But Richard II and Henry IV-VI would also fit.

I would guess that with an absence of annulets, saltires or mascles and a wide crown, it's Edward III.

It has a pellet stop before REX and the middle of the reverse seems to have a pellet in the centre, so it could be something like this Treaty Period (1361-1369) penny, with EDWARDVS REX ANGLI, although I don't know about the mint (S 1630) http://www.yorkcoins.com/h3170_-_ed...ork_mint.htm
Edited by JohnConduitt
01/30/2022 9:14 pm
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chirrrs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the weight and diameter of each of them?

They're all about 3/4" diameter, or 19mm. Weights are as follows: (1) 1.2g (2) 1.0g (3) 0.9g

Thank you for your help by the way! I didn't know that the crown was the most important distinction between these. Any books or websites you can recommend on Medieval English coins?
Edited by chirrrs
02/04/2022 02:47 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 476Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: