Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1912 V Nickel, Do You See An S Or A D?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 2,200Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  8:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all, I'm going crazy trying to figure this coin out. I can't discern whether the coin is a 12-S or 12-D. Here's the best closeups I could take of the mintmark:

EDIT: There are pictures of two different coins in this post. Picture number one and picture number two are of the coin I am questioning. Picture number three is of a coin that I am sure is a D to compare to the one that I am questioning.

And here's a comparison with a known "D":

What do you think?
Edited by Adam_E
02/04/2022 10:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
24188 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vote is for your coin to have been minted in San Francisco.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70239 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wot? I'll say a Denver coin.
Edited by Coinfrog
02/04/2022 9:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote S but this will end up being like the picture of the blue dress or was it grey.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70239 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can this possibly be an "S"? C'mon.
Edited by Coinfrog
02/04/2022 9:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frog, have you seen what an S looks like on a worn V nickel? It can be incredibly difficult to discern.
Learn More...
United States
24188 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@frog, just to be clear, the first two images are of the unknown mm. That third pic is of a D mm from a different coin for comparison purposes. Maybe that is what you are focused on?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like circulation flattened S mintmark.

What an opportunity coming from Coinfrog!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4150 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First image definitely looks like as S, can see the lower tail and the curve at the center point. Second image is questionable and looks like it could go either way. My money is on S.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70239 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps I have confused the images, if so I apologize, and will start over.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frog, I have spoken to quite a few people who are 100% positive that it's a D. I think 1847Bill is right that this will be a "Grey or blue" situation. Ultimately I've received enough responses that it's an S that I think it's worth the gamble in sending to ANACS. This coin cost me about a dollar so I'm not risking anything more than grading fees.
Edited by Adam_E
02/04/2022 9:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a D, most obvious in last image.

added correction:
Never mind, the last picture is a D now that I re-read the text.
Still, the one above (second pic) looks like a D too, more than it looks like an S to me. It's a tough call.

( Yeah Adam, LOL, I was busy typing that when you posted. )
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
02/04/2022 10:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG, the last image is of a different coin.
Edited by Adam_E
02/04/2022 10:47 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70239 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread is getting confusing. To me, pic #3 in the original post shows a clear D mintmark. My last thought on this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frog, I state in the original post that the last picture, picture #3 IS a D.

There are pictures of two different coins in the original post. Picture number one and picture number two are of the coin I am questioning. Picture number three is of a coin that I am sure is a D and posted it to compare to the one that I am questioning. I see now that this has caused more confusion than intended. I'll see if I can post this in the OP.

TNG- got it, sorry for sniping your comment!
Edited by Adam_E
02/04/2022 10:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8035 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2022  02:30 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely an S.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 2,200Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: