Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unusual New Shapes Of Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,673Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  3:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add slarti42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear Members,

what is your opinion on the unusual "coins" produced in the last couple of years by Canada Mint ? For example Diamond shape coin, RCMP Policeman on the Horse coin, Spherical ball coin in the shape of Earth or Mars ? Do you think these have anything to do with the "coin" idea ? Or they are just the new piece of art expression ... I would like to hear your opinion..
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are interesting, but not my cup of tea.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8054 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I consider/call them numismatic "objet d'art" - they run too far afield of what a traditional coin is for me to consider them coins (regardless of their legal tender status).

They're fine as collectibles, I just don't view them as coins.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like some of the weird things the mint has been producing, not something I personally collect not do I think I would call them coins. I think commems summed them up perfectly.
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slarti42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so far I see we have very similar opinion :) I wonder why Mint is making more an more of them.
Valued Member
Canada
288 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can they please make a corona-shaped coin? To commemorate the end of Omicron wave?
Learn More...
Australia
14511 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder why Mint is making more an more of them.

The RCM, and global mint-corporations more generally, keep making these sorts of things, because people keep buying them. Their marketing department keeps dreaming up weird and wonderful concepts, their market research (or past sales trends) indicates roughly how many they think they can sell, and the Canadian government (or some other flag of convenience country if the Canadian government refuses) then gives the rubber-stamp legal tender status so they can market it as a "coin".

I'm more an "if it doesn't fit in a 2x2 I don't really want it" traditionalist myself. I suspect most of these "coins" aren't being bought by "traditional" coin collectors. They generally aren't being marketed towards "traditional" coin collectors. For example, I doubt that the 1 kilogram silver ball in the shape of the Death Star (put out just now by the New Zealand Mint in the name of Niue) is being bought by traditional coin collectors - but it is being bought by Star Wars fans. (even with a RRP of US$3650, the whole "mintage" of 299 "coins" sold-out on preorder). I didn't first find out about the existence of this "coin" though coin magazines, or even on coin forums - YouTube's algorithms thought I needed to know about it. YouTube doesn't know I collect coins, but knows I'm into Star Wars.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4984 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We build them, you buy them !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2655 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap - Or 2 1/2' by 2 1/2"

Jest sayin'.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4532 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sap said it well.

These issues have very little to do with numismatics; they are giftware. Certainly some of them are very interesting to look at, and if I like some of the the smaller and flat ones (fit into a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2) I may get them if they are available cheaply in the aftermarket, but I honestly don't pay much attention to these special mint issues any more.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1311 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2022  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
speaking of odd shaped coins, The Royal Canadian Mint today released a New "coin" - in the shape of King Tut's funerary mask. $399.95 from Republic of Djibouti (between Yemen and Ethiopia) 3 oz silver, 200 Francs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
601 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2022  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, coin collecting for me needs to be rooted in what is released for spending. I am not quite as strict as @sap with the 2x2 or crown sized 2.5x2.5 constraint... I am happy with NCLT versions of coins that are released to circulation. I even stretch to coins that while recognizably coins, would never be released for circulation... In this I include items such as colourized coins, Proof silver or gold releases and anything that is basically coin shaped and could be mistaken for a circulating item (metal notwithstanding). I will even grant a hall pass to "big" coins such as the RCM series or the 5oz ATB series quarters which while never a circulating size, still resembles a coin albeit oversized.

I draw the line at spheres, Starship Enterprise outlines, King Tut's mask, diamonds, Carousels, figurines...etc. Don't get me wrong, these items should exist as there are folks that want them either individually or as part of a collection but sticking on a monarch's head and giving it a Face Value does not make it a coin. The French Mint does a great job of selling traditional NCLT product but also non-coin objects without a Face Value or Euro label. More mints around the world should follow suit.

In the bullion world, the RCM issues silver bars alongside maple leaf coins. The bars don't have a Face Value nor a Monarch's head but they are still collected/stacked. I don't know why there is a need to add a denomination to a diamond shaped block of silver or an intricate working carousel.

Figurines in bronze & silver
Bracelets
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10685 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2022  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know why there is a need to add a denomination to a diamond shaped block of silver or an intricate working carousel.

Learn More...
Australia
14511 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know why there is a need to add a denomination to a diamond shaped block of silver or an intricate working carousel.

Marketing. All of their market research proves, again and again, that "coins sell, other non-coin things like medals don't".

A statement which really only holds true for the "coin collectors" target market, which as I've said isn't the target market for many of these products. Would the New Zealand Mint have been able to sell all 299 solid silver Death Stars if they weren't given legal tender status by Niue? Probably, yes. They might even have sold more of them, since at least some of the Star Wars fans would have been put off by the giant face of Elizabeth II, whose portrait certainly did not grace the "real" Death Star. Though it's entirely possible that Lucasfilm wouldn't have granted permission for the artifacts to be created unless they were "coins". But we'll never know, because the mints cannot break away from their "coins > medals" mindset.

It's also possible that the mints, especially the private mints like New Zealand Mint, don't want to end up like Franklin Mint - which in the end was making and selling collectable plates, Star Trek chess sets, pocket knives and such, but not coins. They know that their actual bread-and-butter customers, the coin collectors, are put off by reading a product catalogue that's full of non-coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2901 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2022  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Royal Canadian Mint today released a New "coin" - in the shape of King Tut's funerary mask. $399.95 from Republic of Djibouti

The coin is not a RCM release. The RCM is reselling the coin which was released by the Republic of Djibouti.

The RCM sell international coins from time to time. A few days ago the RCM had the Blue Marble coin from Barbados which sold out almost immediately.

Edited by MoneyPenney
02/16/2022 9:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1311 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since 2017 when I collected fictional spacecraft, these are the only ones. So, Star Trek? or Star Wars? What's your pleasure? (There is also a handful of 20/4/20 Star Trek coins not shown.

USS Enterprise 2017, $100 Canadian, 10 ounces Fine Silver

Millennium Falcon 2022, $5.00 NIUE 3 ounces Fine Silver
Edited by Dcadon
03/21/2022 5:08 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,673Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: