Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1900 Double Eagle - Any Red Flags On This One?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 514Next Topic  
Portugal
7 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  11:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add balisamas to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi coin loving friends,

I usually buy UK sovereigns but have been wanting a pre 1933 double eagle for a while. Since I live in Europe, they aren't easily available... but one of the shops I usually get my coins from recently acquired a 1900 $20 specimen.

The photos are a bit blurry (they are taken by the shop, I haven't bought the coin), but are there any red flags you can see?

I can always buy it and return it, and before I buy it I always ask them to make sure the weight is exactly as it should be.

Thanks for the help!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45058 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68705 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll wait for the experts!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5532 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No comment on the authenticity.

Lots of obverse "noise"
Unusual wear on the reverse.

IMO it's not worth much more than gold spot.
At the currently spot I'd say US$1850 at most.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1691 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no red flags, this is a nice looking coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse is a red flag. I would pass unless you can find a matching die on the 1900 reverse that had a poor center strike that is similar to the OP example.

OP

NGC AU55 1900 Reverse
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am hardly an expert on these but imo the op example is much sharper than the AU NGC example. The rays are well defined and the shield looks fully struck. I also don't see any problems other than normal chatter that is common on such a soft metal coin. As long as this tests out as good and your dealer offers you a buyback guarantee I see no problem buying this.
Learn More...
United States
113300 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6433 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks nice to me. Looks genuine, too!

If you can get it close to spot then why not go for it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1092 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Portugal
7 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add balisamas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks friends, for the warm welcome and comments.
Since the majority seems to think it's legit, I'm going to confirm the weight, and if it's right I'll buy it.
I can't really get it close to spot, the premium will be around 10%.
But bear in mind this is the normal premium in Europe for coins in this condition (a BU would have an even higher premium)... Double eagles are uncommon here, and they command a higher premium than in the States.

Once I have it I'll post some better pics in this thread!

Portugal
7 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add balisamas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick update: I found a better coin.

Still had to pay $300 over spot, but well, that's how prices are here in Europe... it still has some brilliance and well defined features, despite a bit of dirtyness on Liberty's head.
I do like the black spot in her eye, looks like she has real eyes!

Here's my new 1894S $20 Liberty Double Eagle, hopefully the first one of many:
Pillar of the Community
United States
6433 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! I think it would grade around MS-62.

I hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

Congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68705 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that one better, good find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2189 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done. The thing that bugged me about the first one was the missing detail in the tail feathers. Not saying it was fake, but you found a much better example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 94 S is MS and you are not going to find a nice coin any cheaper in the States.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 514Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: