Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Steel Penny Metal Issue

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,001Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  9:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

SPP I know you might help me to understand. how a pure steel coin . that is painted black would have yellow letters and numbers. I am wondering is there some thing a chemical. that could change the color of metal to some other color like yellow. anybody that has and understanding of metals.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68834 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, how about some pics?

Pillar of the Community
United States
8501 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, would love to se full, large and sharp images. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you guys. I know what it is. its metal plating added to the coins surface. thank you guys so much. see the white around the press digit through. that did not make senses, with yellow tops. plus all that darn proofing black paint crazy. see the steel is a perfect mirror. so I know what all of this is . I can tell you I have never read about one of them coins ever being plated. but this is thank you all have a great day. see you have to light this coin so hard. its almost impossible to photograph because of that darn reflective steel.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i will try some axial lighting. that usually get me around reflective metal. I will post some picture if I can find away.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4343 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have lost us all with no photo. You keep talking about a coin and plating, but we have no idea what you are talking about.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner first hello I am Trying to picture this coin. its the light that is why I am going to try axial lighting. that way you can see what I see ok . I will get this done so you guys can see this coin as well. its weird you see it. its not Canadian. I wanted to know about steel. I worked alot with all metals. the steel on this coin is so brilliant. see the paint is dull but that laquer is also there so this was done at a mint. I will show you. and by the way nice to here from you . I hope all is well with you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
we know what it is its a reaction form the steel ,Vinz and varnish . its like a mild rust that appears yellowish. you can see the plain steel of the rim. here is a image this is a 1943 steel penny D . the other coin I have is painted black. why the difference.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another image
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is a couple from the other coin.

Learn More...
Australia
14352 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Um, we'd kind of need some zoomed-out pics, to see the whole coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4343 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blowing up something 30-50 times with a microscope, blasting it with light and then taking a picture puts everything out of whack, especially since someone painted it black. Of course, steel is going to appear silvery and shiny against the black and also certainly, some exposed steel will show the beginning oxidation with rust. I still have no idea why this is so interesting or questionable.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it still looks like metal plating to me. so it would have to be brass or gold. even bronze can look yellow by heat.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's metal plating.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so the second strike is on top the first with shift plus a crack from the top strike excellent. that is plating under varnish.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3090 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread is a little confusing. Rocky, are you saying the coin was plated (which would be post mint) or are you saying it's an error coin? I'd like to see full pictures of the coin so I can have a better understanding of what your explaining.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,001Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: