Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Help With This Bronze?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 433Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
292 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  08:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Not sure if this thread belongs in this topic, buy it may...

Found this bronze today and my brief internet search haven't revealed much. I plan to spend more time with it tonight, but any leads would be appreciated!

I was attracted by the haloed figures and primitive church.

It weighs just short of 34 g, is about 40 mm and it's thick.

*The token might not be bronze. I think it is an alloy or lead*

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Roma2021
05/23/2022 4:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
23706 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure if this thread belongs in this topic, buy it may...

Perhaps so, but I'm going to move it over to the unidentified pieces section first. Maybe a communion token? I don't think it is a pilgrim badge because I don't see how it would have been affixed to clothing.

The stone building design is intriguing as those look like flying buttresses, but I don't see why they would be needed on such a small structure.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Italy
292 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Spence. I wasn't sure where to post and the only lead I have is from a Roman based seller that suggested 'Byzantiane'; I have been researching Pilgrim Tokens which were popular.

I thought those two flying buttress-like features were stairways leading into the church.
Edited by Roma2021
05/23/2022 11:14 am
Valued Member
Italy
292 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In further reseaching this medal, I was told 'Anglo Saxon' and likely not Byzantine. Pilgrim Token?

Anyone?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
460 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks significantly less than 500 years old, so not Byzantine. If it's lead it hasn't spent long underground. The church looks Protestant, perhaps even Anglican, which is as near as it would be to 'Anglo-Saxon'.

Spence's suggestion of a communion token looks a fair guess.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 433Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: