Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 'Aboriginal Elder' $2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 896Next Topic  

Australia
9 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  10:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NickWilliams2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts are regarding the 'standard design' $2 coin, and whether or not it deserves to be in the 'low mintage' category and worth its $68+ price tag.

So far:
1. Front-line Workers
2. Tooth-Fairy
3. 'Aboriginal Elder' Baby-Set ver.
4. Bumblebee

This is already a lot lol.

Personally, I think the Coloured $2 coins have lost their novelty with how many the mint keeps releasing.
Learn More...
Australia
14635 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given that we're not halfway into 2022 yet, I would think it imprudent to start making decisions about either relative or absolute scarcity of 2022 coins. Especially for regular, non-commemorative circulation coins for which mintages are not fixed until the end of the calendar year.

Coins often have a "price spike" on the secondary market as soon as they finish selling from the mint, as people realise they've "missed out" and suddenly decide they want one after all. The spike usually goes back down again, once "everyone who wants one has got one".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
805 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally, I think the Coloured $2 coins have lost their novelty with how many the mint keeps releasing.

Yes,i agree,i was talking to a dealer earlier this year and he felt the Mints were killing the Golden Goose.
Interest in Oz pre-Dec. are also waning so interesting times for Dealers in the coming years.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1274 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yes,i agree,i was talking to a dealer earlier this year and he felt the Mints were killing the Golden Goose.
Interest in Oz pre-Dec. are also waning so interesting times for Dealers in the coming years.

IMO Mints started killing the Golden Goose years ago but you can bet they will continue to churn out commemoritive coins while there's still some bees to be made. It happened with stamps yonks ago. I also wonder if some of the issues (Alphabet, Wiggles, Possum Magic etc) are aimed at a younger generation to to get them into collecting. Must admit that at 51 years of age, I do feel like a youngster among all the 'oldies' at the monthly stamp and collectibles auctions. It could partially be that younger collectors are in online clubs however I'm pretty sure the average age of coin collectors is increasing each year.

I don't think interest in coins is waning, rather a combination of lockdowns, stimulus payments and record low interest rates over the past few years has seen prices of all coins reach new highs. Recent high inflation and interest rate hikes while wages stagnate have probably started to affect how much cash people will spend on coins. I think the dealers had an interesting time with the arrival of the internet and the 'globalization' of the coin trade along with the cheaper option of online sales. Those that survived have probably made a nice bit of money over the last 1-2 years with trade starting to go back to pre-covid levels.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2086 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
682 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's plenty 2022 aboriginal elder coins in circulation now so no need to pay more than face value.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
552 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree there's a few afloat in circulation I managed 5x2022 unc $2 coins so far, just get them before to much damage on them
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2086 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
682 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got 14 rolls of $2 coins out of the hole in the wall and they were ALL 2022 aboriginal elders!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2086 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
552 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
14 rolls of 2022 $2 coins wow has too be few good ones in that lot.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 896Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: