Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Taxes Canada July 1st

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,663Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

Canada
344 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  11:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I juste received an e-mail from Ebay. All transactions done in Canada Will be charged with taxes (TPS,TVQ,etc) starting 1 july. Anybody get the same email?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1341 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup! Too bad we can't apply for an exemption if under annual threshold.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4313 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly evens the playing field .
But as usual a typical Ebay clustered
Pile of goo !
Sure going to be fun explaining on the quarterly
Phone calls from the CRA as to why I am getting
Refund after refund .
To those of us already registered for GST / HST a
real mess !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4404 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if I will be charged, living in Canada and having things shipped to Buffalo. I'm already charged US sales tax, based on the State that was the vendor. Yes, I got the email today as well.
Edited by okiecoiner
06/06/2022 5:38 pm
Valued Member
Canada
282 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about silver coins No sales tax on silver? are they still going to collect sales tax
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1024 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No email here. I already look for private sellers now to avoid businesses tax charges. So am I correct in assuming that this a hit on the "services" end of the HST. Who gets hit? Sounds like the seller.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
665 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coincidence that it's starting on Canada Day?
I received the email too. I suppose eBay will automatically add it to the purchase price on any transaction involving a Canadian-based buyer and Canadian-based seller. Given that precious metals are exempt from tax, will eBay be smart enough to exclude it? I'm not sure how that's going to work.
Learn More...
Canada
10213 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who gets hit? Sounds like the seller.

The buyer. It gets automatically added to the invoice. If the seller has a registered GST number, they cannot charge the taxes themselves (like they used to). Those sellers have to remit for tax refunds with CRA.

eBay is doing this, because CRA has mandated for them to do so. The CRA is looking for those who "flip" coins/collectables/art/junk for income and who do not claim that as "other income" on their personal income taxes. What this does now, is create a paper trail back to the seller. So eBay remits the tax collected the CRA will know how much $$$ any given seller has made.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1024 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get it now. Still don't like the fact the taxman is hunting down some private sellers just trying to unload their collection as they age. Don't like that I'll be the one paying, I don't sell. Next they will want to know how much you made at the garage sale last Saturday. Sheeks.

Learn More...
Canada
10213 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Selling your private collection is one thing. Buying and flipping coins is another. Frankly, I don't see the big deal (as a seller). I have been claiming my eBay sales as "other income" for almost a decade, and it allows me to write off related expenses, such as coin supplies, a percentage of my internet, certification fees, etc... I keep it below $30K annually, so that a GST number is not necessary.

It is the buyer that has to pay, and I am not sure if eBay will even care if pure bullion, for example, is tax exempt or not. If anything, this could prompt a few more collectors to go out to coin shows, where cash is still king.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1341 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CRA is looking for those who "flip" coins/collectables/art/junk for income and who do not claim that as "other income" on their personal income taxes

I'm not sure how many they hope to catch. Coins are considered to be Listed Personal Property, flipping would be an interesting test case for collectibles. Not sure how long you have to hold something to be considered personal use, especially as collectibles, where you are frequently doing upgrades. As it is, you only have to consider personal use property for tax purposes if you sell an item above $1000, where you then claim as a gain/loss.
Edited by purelywasted
06/07/2022 4:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1024 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well ain't that a kick in the pants. It looks like the CRA is making ebay a henchman. I wonder if sales will drop because of it? Bring on the shows.....oh they will get busy now.

purelywasted makes a good point. Gray area there.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4404 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that we all either know or have heard of Ebay sellers stating that "from private collection, so no tax" with annual sales well into the 5 figures.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1341 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sales tax (PST/GST/HST/etc...) are a different animal, once you cross the threshold above a certain sales level, you need to start charging, which I think is true for personal property as well. I'm only talking about declaring it as income.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1024 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I'm trying to wrap my head around is, the buyer pays the tax, the seller receives it on top of the selling price, so the seller is now holding the tax. How do they remit it on a true private collection sale? Or, if it's not above the threshold, do they keep it? Is it worth the CRA going after a couple hundred bucks from Grandpa next door?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8858 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller will not receive it. eBay receives it along with their fees and remits it.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
06/07/2022 6:20 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,663Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: