Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 S Cent W/ A Strange Mint Mark

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 829Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
325 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  2:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I have A 1974 S cent with an appairant RPM. The coin is not an attractive cent and is worn and I realize there were over 409 million minted. But the mint mark looks like an 8 so I believe the S MM was struck over a bottom mark. I have included two closeup pics and the one close up shows something under the top mark! Take a look and let me know your thoughts. Regards to all!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10383 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot find any listing of a '74-S RPM. The S took a hit right dab in the middle crushing it a little bit. I'm not seeing any separation is serifs here. I don't see an rpm,
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70240 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Afraid I don't either.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15763 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice camerawork but all I see is a damaged S
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn, Copper Coins1974S-1MM-001 shows A RPM that looked like mine. Regards!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15763 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the same as Copper Coins.
Yours does not show the split at the top and bottom of the S.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10383 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dearborn, Copper Coins1974S-1MM-001 shows A RPM that looked like mine. Regards!

thanks for calling me out - can you provide a link to what you found on copper coins please?

But I still stand by my assessment for now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1502 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing it either.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2010 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a normal mm but nice pics as always.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
8931 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good photos, yes. I'm with others--not seeing an RPM.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Normal S mm with post mint damage.
ša va bien aller

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SuperSteveFly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This 74 seems to have something similar but it has some heavy wear. I thought the mark on this looked RPM but I'm assuming it's also PMD
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must say unbelievable photos. I wish I was 10 % good in photos as you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10383 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2022  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Saturn: With lots of practice and perseverance, you will develop a good method of getting great photos too.
90% of the photos I post up was with my Android Stylus cell phone. It is doable...
Edited by Dearborn
06/12/2022 10:53 am
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn here is a link! Regards
Coppercoins.com go to 1974 year and look for 1974 S Mint Mark.
Also I have two closeups of my MM. Note the medal underneafh the MM between the two openings of the S script. It appears to show something was under the MM!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58769 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2022  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a RPM on the 'S' mint.

A RPM would show two distinct punching of the mintmark. A DDO has a mintmark that is normal, it is not a RPM. You can have both on the same coin. Only after 1990 are mintmarks with a hub doubling are doubled dies as they stopped punching the mintmarks on them since that date.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 829Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: