Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shortcross? Silver Hammered Coin ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 435Next Topic  

United Kingdom
32 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  5:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hughwp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came in a job lot can anyone id it. Looks like a shortcross ?
weight is 2.11g

Edited by hughwp
06/22/2022 5:41 pm
Learn More...
United States
24281 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hug, this one also has a similar counterstamp so I'm think it is a museum replica too. See the page linked here below for a similar replica, but in better shape. Since you seem to have several of these, it is provably worth looking at the whole museum reproduction website as you research what you've got.

https://www.museumreproductions.co....oductid=1388

I do note that these are made from pewter so performing a specific gravity test should allow you to know what is silver and what isn't.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence is quite right, another museum gift shop novelty coin.
The upper left corner of the first photo may be a clue to your having more than one of these?
Edited by Hogarth
06/24/2022 5:16 pm
United Kingdom
32 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hughwp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got them off ebay they were advertised as antique coins so I thought they were old so may have a claim for misleading description?
Learn More...
United States
24281 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes for sure you should try to return these replicas. Best would be to just send back the entire lot rather than try to figure out which ones are real and which ones aren't. Good luck!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

100% yes.
If described as you say then this was fraudulent. Send them back. Ebay will refund your money.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
474 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want something real and cheap, I'd recommend:

AG&S Gillis https://gilliscoins.com/special_off...ed/index.htm
Simon Hall https://hallshammeredcoins.com/?page=home

Henry III and Edwards I-III are often cheap.

You can also get an idea of what the real ones look like. This site will give an idea of what replicas look like https://www.museumreproductions.co.uk/shop/
Edited by JohnConduitt
06/25/2022 09:26 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: