Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 Circulation Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,327Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Germany
803 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  02:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Three circulation commemorative coins were announced in ''The Orders in Council online database:''

A $2 (Toonie) marking the 50th anniversary of the 1972 SUMMIT SERIES

A $1 (Loonie) honouring and celebrating the life, work, and music of OSCAR PETERSON

A $1 (Loonie) honouring the 175th anniversary of the birth of ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL

It is most likely that each coin will be issued in a coloured/non-coloured version.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
It is most likely that each coin will be issued in a coloured/non-coloured version.

The orders specify the striking of a colour version of each design, so it seems (almost) a definite both versions will be produced. I guess we'll know for sure shortly!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quatchi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know, thanks for the info Redlock!
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stogie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a fan of this constant bombardment of commemoratives...it seems like there is way too many of them, and any reason will do for a commemorative. Commemoratives have lost their "specialness" because of this. However, with this being said I am looking forward to the Oscar Peterson commemorative owing to the fact that I am a lifelong jazz fan.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
680 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The circ commemoratives are great for education and to raise interest in coins. However, the RCM needs to do a much better job getting these coins into the hands of the public. The expensive packaging "keepsakes" and rolls completely defeats the purpose.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. Something to add to the Loonies & Twonies next year.
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1972 series $2 coins - PC Number: 2022-0720
he Royal Canadian Mint Act, authorizes the issue of two two-dollar circulation coins...
a coloured two-dollar coin
the reverse impression of which is to depict, at the top of the inner core, the inscription, in red text over a white background, "THE SERIES ˇ LA SÉRIE", beneath which is depicted a red stylized maple leaf, in the foreground of which are two Team Canada hockey players wearing their uniform and equipment coloured red, white, grey and black, the smaller one of whom appears on the left-hand side of the inner core and is facing right while the larger one appears on the right-hand side of the inner core and is facing left, and beneath whom appears, over a red background, the inscription "50" in white, the inscription "YEARS" in white, and beneath it the inscription "ANS" in white, and centred at the top of the outer ring, two virtual images of a maple leaf between two slanted lines, to the left of which is the inscription "CANADA", and to the right of the inscription around the inner edge of the outer ring in smaller text appear, from bottom to top, the inscriptions "HS", "15", "18", "28", "21", "10", "27", "14", "22", "19", "11", "36", "20", "8", "12", "6", "24" and "29" and on the outer ring to the right of the virtual images, the inscription "2 DOLLARS", and to the left of the inscription around the inner edge of the outer ring in smaller text, from top to bottom, the inscriptions "1", "4", "26", "5", "35", "16", "25", "32", "2", "3", "37", "23", "17", "38", "7", "33", "34", "9" and "JF", and below the inscriptions on the outer ring, two security marks consisting of a maple leaf within a maple leaf, each within a circle, to the right of which appears the artist's initials "JK"

a two-dollar coin
the description is the same with the omission of in red text over a white background and "wearing their uniform and equipment coloured red, white, grey and black"
Edited by mice45
06/26/2022 10:45 pm
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oscar Peterson 1$ coins
PC Number: 2022-0719 authorizes the issue of two one-dollar circulation coins

a coloured one-dollar coin
the reverse impression of which is to depict, at the centre of the top of the coin, the inscription "CANADA", beneath which appears a security mark consisting of a maple leaf within a maple leaf within a circle, to the left of which is a portrait of Oscar Peterson playing piano, and to the right of which appears the piano that Mr. Peterson is playing, and from the top of the coin below the inscription "CANADA", a musical staff that curves downward towards the piano and on which appear the musical notes and chord symbols for two bars of Mr. Peterson's "Hymn to Freedom", and between Mr. Peterson, the musical staff and the piano, layered over a hash mark pattern, two purple blocks surrounding the security mark, and on the bottom of the design, the inscription "OSCAR PETERSON", above and to the right of which appears the artist's initials "VD", and centred at the bottom of the coin, the inscription "DOLLAR"

a one-dollar coin
the reverse impression of which is to depict, at the centre of the top of the coin, the inscription "CANADA", beneath which appears a security mark consisting of a maple leaf within a maple leaf within a circle, to the left of which is a portrait of Oscar Peterson playing piano and to the right of which appears the piano that Mr. Peterson is playing, and from the top of the coin, below the inscription "CANADA", a musical staff that curves downward towards the piano and on which appear the musical notes and chord symbols for two bars of Mr. Peterson's "Hymn to Freedom", and on the bottom of the design, the inscription "OSCAR PETERSON", above and to the right of which appears the artist's initials "VD", and centered at the bottom of the coin, the inscription "DOLLAR".
Edited by mice45
06/26/2022 10:53 pm
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chief to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not a fan of this constant bombardment of commemoratives...it seems like there is way too many of them, and any reason will do for a commemorative. Commemoratives have lost their "specialness" because of this.

Respectfully, I disagree. As someone who cannot afford all of the special non-circulating commems that come out each year (at the cheapest you're putting out a couple dozen dollars for one coin, and most are well into the hundreds), I like the fact that the RCM releases circulating commems each year for a couple reasons:

1) it highlights special events and history for the general public (most of whom don't know about NCLT coins, and the only special coins they will ever come across are those they find in their change. It's a chance for Canada to highlight its history, culture, geography and so much more.

2) as someone who can't afford the dozens (if not hundreds) of dollars to collect any of the NCLT, it is nice to still be able to collect something special. I enjoy looking at my collection of circulation coins and seeing things other than caribou, loons and polar bears year after year after year.

3) at best, it is a treasure hunt to find those commems for each year. At worst - to avoid the stress - the cost to buy them on the second-hand market is pretty reasonable (e.g., you can get all of the 2021 commemorative coins from my local coin dealer for less than $25+tax).

Personally, I would love to see more commemorative coins each year - or even series like the US does (their Native American series, or the American Innovations series) that has one (or a few) coins come out each year for each series
Pillar of the Community
Canada
671 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circulating commemoratives are a good way to fill up a coin album fast. Some designs are great, some are just the opposite. Personally I feel the RCM does too many. It seems like these coins get hoarded. People get their hands on rolls and just hoard them. Some break up the rolls and sell them individually for a profit. I'd love it if the mint did more coin exchanges or sold five at face value like they used to.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: