Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 D Maya Angelou Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 248Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
212 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  2:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Decaf94drew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What's up with the I (and t) of In God We trust from the wrong angle it almost disappears/gets super small/ looks like it came through at an angle

The "thin look"

The "thick look"

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58840 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die polishing has altered the widths of those devices. Thus they look narrow. If these would have been widened, this could have been damage from flattening from vending machine/coin wrapping/coin counter machine damaged. But being reduced is a sign of die field removal. (The die polishing affects the fields of the dies the most, as the fields are the outside edge of the devices. The dies are a negatives and the coins are positives. So what is raised on a coin, is incuse on the dies.

The fields are the outside of the die. When polished the fields are reduced in thickness. So the devices are tapered on the die, wider at the base of the devices, narrow at the tops of the devices:

Without the taper, the coins would stick to the dies. So with that taper, the coins are released after the strike. So the die polishing reduces the height and width of the devices. Note the gutter on the outside edge of the die. That and the collar creates the rim on the coins. Thus when a coin is not struck in the collar, the rim is not contained (partial collar) or an off center strike (Not in the collar) will not show a rim of these error coins.
On this coin it appears that something must have damaged the die, thus that edge of the die was altered. (possible die dent on the outside edge of the die. When polished off, the coins will look like this coin.)

CoopHome: Why does die polishing affect the devices on the dies?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10427 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color is weird on your coin, aside from the full coin images, are the close-up pictures a screen shot of the scope display taken by a cell
'The 'rainbow' effect is strange.
I wonder if the I and T of IGWT was from a partial Grease Filled Die - in this case the grease on the die was not completely wiped off, which it why you can see this effect at the rim.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's glare and/ or perspective issue.

We see a LOT of these Maya Angelou coins, what's up with that?
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 248Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: