Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Adding Things To The Coin Worth It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 575Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115396458927

Does adding this ugly, most likely fake gold plate add anything to the coin, sell price, collectibles, and on and on?

Learn More...
United States
24208 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps for some folks, but this sort of coin alteration is generally frowned upon by the numismatic community.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly interesting to say the least - to say the most - I think it is (and all the others he is selling) are quite ugly. But folks that don't know any better usually snaps these things up like tic-tacs.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19848 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most valuable things you can add to a coin are
-authentication, and
-provenance.

And they don't alter the coin's appearance !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
994 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's basically ruined the coin from a numismatic standpoint, though for very common coins like the State Quarters I don't consider it a big deal - it's still worth 25 cents...
What really aggravates me is when sellers try to market these modified pieces as great investments. Then, years down the road when the customers try to sell them they realize they threw their money away...
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Edited by hokiefan_82
07/06/2022 11:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17761 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I for one do not like colored coins even the Canadian ones from The Royal Mint . This U.S. Quarter in my opinion has no added value beyond 25˘ . Actually I don't even think a merchant would accept it as payment for anything . However , if you like it as a NOVELTY then go ahead with the purchase .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate Americans shipping lol, 9$ for the coin 18$ for shipping haha, I personally like coloured coins but as for added value? I guess it would depend, these coins are technically damaged and not original but they could be collected like love tokens in the future. If you like it go for it, but look at it more as art rather then a coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they were coloured at the mint, like Canadian coins, I love them ( see my avatar for example)! Coloured after the mint I dislike and consider it only damage.
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
8866 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
-authentication, and
-provenance.

And they don't alter the coin's appearance !

sel that is about the best thing I've read in a long time! Plus it's true. The truest thing in coin collecting ever said, beyond my Aaron Feldman quote.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the info. I did like this kind of thing, until I found out it is not worth the money. So it is just another seller tricks.... IMO.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2405 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
-authentication, and
-provenance.

Nicely put!

These could also be considered to add value
-attribution
-accurate assessment of the grade and rarity
-good clear photos

(which is what dealers do with an unorganized collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3116 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a fan of any coloring added to coins.

That being said, it's kind of amazing how accurate the placement of the hologram is. It doesn't spill over onto the fields.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19848 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with the idea of accurate attribution.

Over the years I have bought quite a few low grade un identified ancient coins in job lots at auction, and
have doubled their value with an accurate identification.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1529 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kinda like them, they are art. I guess maybe. But they carry no numismatic value over face.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 575Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: