Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Range Of Serial Numbers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 696Next Topic  

Australia
30 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2022  10:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add amateurrollcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm slightly confused about how the banknote serial prefixes work.

I know that the first letter is different, but does the second letter range from A to Z or does it stop at a particular letter and move on to BA, BB, etc? I searched up a random code beginning with AZ onto a banknote serial checker, but it didn't come up with anything. Any help?

Valued Member
Australia
60 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  03:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jens coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2104 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah the second letter is almost always A to M, except for some test notes in 1996 and 1997.
I suppose the Reserve Bank reserved those prefixes just in case.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1816 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know that the first letter is different, but does the second letter range from A to Z or does it stop at a particular letter and move on to BA, BB, etc? I searched up a random code beginning with AZ onto a banknote serial checker, but it didn't come up with anything. Any help?

-Great question @amaturerollcoins & one I have been working on for the last 6 years or more.

The general rule of thumb is AA22, AB22, AC22, etc using up a preset list of letters until transitioning to BA22, BB22, BC22, etc. The prefix includes the last 2 numbers of the year the note was printed so the examples I have provided are examples if a new series were started this year (2022). However, RBA has been issuing notes from 2020 so notes go from AA20 to EJ20 for the $5 (etc).

Generally the prefixes carry on from years before & the year notes printed change. The signatures (Governors/Secretary to Treasurer) may be changed (newly appointed) while the prefix letters change. That is why 1 prefix (per denomination) may change & be short (& those are the ones collectors go for).

For example, if you SELECT THE YEAR: 2002 on the RBA site, you will see that the McFarlane-Henry prefixes start at BA02 & end at EA02. If you go on the Coins And Australia site, you'll see that the BA02 & EA02 have extra premiums:
(CCF won't allow me to post the Coins and Australia site but you can find it on google)

I have used the BNM (Bank Note Museum) also for a guide:
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c...%20AUSTRALIA

Coins And Australia's site also has a guide for pre-decimal too (just google it).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
560 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
-Great question @amaturerollcoins

Great answer@walk2dwater!.

and an observation...so say for the year 2020, you could in theory find a Lowe/Kennedy $5, $20, $50 and $100 note that have the identical Prefix and serial number, for instance they could all be AA 20 0202020.

Would such a set of notes with the same prefix and numbers command a premium?
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2104 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be possible ttkoo but I've never seen such a set advertised.
I think for collector sets with such combinations have been sold in the past but not since the 1990s as far as I remember.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
560 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be possible ttkoo but I've never seen such a set advertised.

And what would be the odds of finding them....
Well I guess I'll keep my eyes open just in case!
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1816 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  08:28 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.so say for the year 2020, you could in theory find a Lowe/Kennedy $5, $20, $50 and $100 note that have the identical Prefix and serial number, for instance they could all be AA 20 0202020.

-Provided # weren't below 5361359 for the $50 (if you wanted the signatures to match too). I have seen pairs of matched numbers like that for sale (& premium) but they were random #, not special 2 digit radars like 0202020. I've seen a few sets from GB too (so they must follow a similar system).

It is interesting to see that the last $10 was printed in 2017 (like Canada our Tens are not as popular as other denominations & only trickle out).

Also one doesn't have to go too far back to find some interesting short change-over tough prefixes.
2018:
$5 EJ up to 0622404 with Lowe/Fraser signature combo
$5 EJ up to 0218163 with Lowe/Kennedy signature combo
(would be nice to get EJ18 0202020 & EJ19 0202020 $5.00!)
$20 EA up to 0189258 with Lowe/Fraser
$20EA from 0200005 to 3470047 with Lowe/Gaetjens
(I remember looking for the $20 last year but every seller wanting tomorrow's prices for one on eBay)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2104 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was an article in the lastest Coin and Banknote magazine and most polymer notes (ignoring prefixes) are reasonably common.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1816 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:46 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There was an article in the lastest Coin and Banknote magazine and most polymer notes (ignoring prefixes) are reasonably common.

-Ignoring prefixes is like ignoring metal content in a coin.

Serial number, prefix & signatures make the note! They are as important (& to some more important) than condition or grade.

-I have seen similar comments by dealers of modern Canadian coins/banknotes who dismiss modern polymer rarities probably b/c they don't perceive that they sell (well enough for them). There are a couple short prefixes (2011 $5 HAE, 2010 $20 AUB) from the Journey series that are very scarce but the $10 Macklem-Carney FTH, $20 BSW, $50 AMK are next to impossible to find. And the dealers never carry them just b/c they're not interested in modern banknotes (& cannot be bothered to memorize the scarce prefixes).
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 696Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: