Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1811 Half Cent, The Right Pictures.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 342Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  12:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jwelzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks for the info CC !

Bedrock of the Community
United States
25267 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still at VF details, environmental damage on this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71696 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same, VF details (porosity).
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still at VF details (porosity) myself.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12968 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
common corroded planchet for a classic head.

VF details
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...VF details.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71696 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Additional pics just aren't going to change the grade of this coin. One of the reasons the 1811 is so expensive is because so many of them (in my experienced) were struck on poor planchets to begin with.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/07/2022 7:07 pm
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwelzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you all, the copper seems to be of poor quality . I appreciate it.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LazerPig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be a dug coin, most of my older finds with a metal detector have had a similar look
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12968 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It could be a dug coin, most of my older finds with a metal detector have had a similar look

just to add to your knowledge base. the classic large cents (1808-1814) were shipped in wood barrels from across the pond. during their transit humidity and salt water reacted with the copper. some years are worse than others. in this case the rarer 1811 is one were its very difficult to find one without some type of corrosion due to this.

i agree that dug coins can have this look but in this case its most likely the original planchet issues we are seeing. add to that prevalent striking issues across the series and low mintages results in less clean coins void of issues.

here is my 1808 (8 star) that looks like it could have been a dug coin. the coin graded VF25 details. this look is very typical of the series. you are going to pay a high premium for one that does not exhibit the planchet issues

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: