Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Thoughts On This 1810 Capped Bust Half

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,228Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  1:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's another one of my recent acquisitions: an 1810 Capped Bust half dollar. I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on this coin. The coin does have luster, however, there is a haze on both the obverse and reverse that is subduing it to a large degree. To my eye, the coin does not appear to be cleaned. This particular coin appears to be the O-102a variety, which displays a very weakly struck left feather. Thanks in advance for your thoughts, everyone!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1186 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a pity about the wear to the wing because it's in a pretty high grade for its age. Just think where that may have been for the past 200 years. I don't really know how a TPG would net grade this. The obverse looks high uncirculated to me, AU58. The reverse would be AU if it were not for the wing. I can't really say! Not enough experience on these. Interested to see what other more experienced voices have to say. It seems to sell for about $600 on average in AU50.
Pillar of the Community
United States
857 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive early half. I think it nets a mid to high AU. The wing may be a Greaser because the talons only show minor rub and the neck shows minor rub. I Like It!
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And just for reference, here's a link to a PCGS graded O-102a 1810 Bust Half in MS66: (https://www.PCGS.com/cert/38327129). Note the weakness in the left feather.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73600 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really can't see any meaningful wear. I'll say not less than AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4433 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning AU55 at least .
The weak strike in the wing
is fairly common on these .
Very pleasing piece!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4165 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful piece! There might be a trace of wear in the hair, I'd say AU-58+, but MS-62 wouldn't surprise me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2456 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post more pics of the coin with more light on the surfaces? I can't say much besides it is AU cleaned. The surfaces aren't original from what I can see. Nice coin overall, the stars and drapery are sharp. I don't see much weakness in the chin of Miss Liberty.

Quote:
The wing may be a greaser

Quote:
It's a pity about the wear to the wing

The weakness in the left wing is 100% not a Grease Filled Die or wear. Simply a weak strike, which was very common on the halves 1809-1812.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Davensandi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing the coin if you notice higher edges on the outside of the devices and letters numerals Jules Reiver told me way back that a lot of the old coins were dipped in acid as a way to clean them and that would leave sort of a scheen on them and that not to worry because most dealers would not know this. I had an 1820 quarter that that happened to and sold it for what I paid for it. Not saying that's what it is but maybe
Pillar of the Community
United States
1885 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Common strike weakness in the wing. 58-62. She is a beaut!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20384 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55, but lack of design detail on the wing could hold the price down below that grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1633 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58, maybe details cleaned. Can we get some pics with better lighting?
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU(55). It's awesome.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I'll try to post some pictures with better lighting tomorrow. Please, keep the thoughts coming!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If people don't understand what being a " Greaser" coin is, they would see a very nice obverse and an overly worn reverse...AU-55.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13366 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one must always be aware of the strike issues with this series. I've learned quite a lot being here for over 10 years from those more knowledgeable about them. your first thought on these is that what looks like wear probably is not especially if the rest of the coin does not exhibit the same amount of flatness.

i'd like to see this one in better light but I think this is a pretty coin, high AU. I dont think I can assign a details designation to it for cleaning using these photos.

AU58 - nice coin. the obv strike is quite nice
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,228Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: