Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 VDB Lincoln Cent, You Versus NGC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 791Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  11:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1909 VDB Lincoln Cent

Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So my guess is that this thread is dead ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Give it some time. Everyone has to sleep.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1251 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC grades these, PCGS does not, possibly a mikesmountainvalues coin (ebay seller). I'm guessing NGC 65bn, but the spotting on the obverse and fingerprint on the reverse hold it to a 64bn in my book.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71714 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-65BN, just a stab.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12974 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lots of little nicks on the reverse letters. heavy toning makes it difficult to see whats under. MS64BN it might get a bump for toning
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KYKopperKoins

Any idea what mikesmountainvalues (there's another dealer on eBay that does the same with silver coins) treats their copper coins with to get the luster to "pop" with the light source? I assume they are using a combo of chemical treatment and light source type. The reflection of the light source on the slab suggests a high-intensity tensor light.

The color is one issue, but to me the altered luster is a bigger one. And as KYKopperKoins states, it is NGC that routinely certifies these coins that have both the color and luster modification. Whereas with PCGS I've seen them only do it with nice RD or RB coins with the altered luster; PCGS will accept the modified luster.
Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/11/2022 09:35 am
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm saying MS-64/BN.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18137 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking toner!

65BN
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25269 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an MS-65BN.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1251 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure on the chemical, former grader at NGC said it isn't ms70, and said they know he treats them, but they call it market acceptable. From what I'm told, whatever he uses, the color stays stable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1931 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64 but the color does not appeal to me
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KYCopperCoins

Could be a very dilute solution of DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) along with a skillfully controlled "dwell" time (time that the coin and solvent are in contact).

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/demos...ts/12.9.html

I remember these "market acceptable" treated copper coins appearing at shows in 1988 or 1989.

I will try to find out more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" NGC grades these,  PCGS does not,"

What does this even mean?
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LazerPig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" NGC grades these, PCGS does not,"

If I'm reading it correctly I think he means that NGC knows these are chemically treated but still gives them a straight grade while PCGS will only give a details grade
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All,

It has been 2 days, 4 hours, 48 minutes and 36 seconds since I posted this coin. Now is the time for the reveal.

NGC MS 65 BN

This coin has likely been dipped in MS-70 (2-butoxyethanol & potassium hydroxide mixture) or treated in some other way.

The coin is for sale on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/195070270366 by some, as Walter Breen would call them, "mental defective." The seller wants $21,999 for it (along with a "twin" coin that is fully green in color, likewise treated - probably MS-70, also residing in an NGC holder with a $21,999 pricetag).

NOTE: I encourage people to spend time on eBay checking out the coins for sale there because it is quite the learning experience.

Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/12/2022 4:06 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 791Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: