Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying This Coin (Can't Find Anything On It) (Id: Greek Fantasy Souvenir Coin)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 481Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  7:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Loughy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone,

My brother-in-law asked if I could help him identify this coin.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's 1g gold, 20-22k and 1/2in diameter

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Loughy
08/14/2022 8:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46461 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the community.
Looks like a modern reproduction/fantasy piece of some sort of ancient coin.
Learn More...
United States
116151 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1282 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's a modern piece and given the lack of any number representing a face value or date I would concur that it is modern taken/fantasy piece and not a coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16232 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly some sort of a tourist token.
Any ancient coin would not be perfectly round.
Also it is probably gold plated, not solid gold.
Learn More...
Australia
14643 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a "fantasy coin", in the sense that it isn't a "real coin" and does not copy the design of a "real coin", but it does, technically, have a "denomination".

On the obverse, we have the goddess Athena. In quasi-classical-Greek around the outside, it says "Athena tetradrachmon 100 PCh.". "100 PCh" is kinda-Greek for "100 BC", so it claims to be replicating the obverse of an Athenian tetradrachm from around 100 BC. Needless to say, genuine ancient coins do not have "100 BC" on them as the date, and I wouldn't have picked that particular coin and era as the model for the obverse, since it's not a very close likeness. Genuine Athenian tetradrachms of 100 BC look like this: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/gree...on_0871a.jpg

On the reverse, with the ship, it says "Kerkyraike Trieres 453 PCh." I would translate this as "Kerkyrean trireme, 453 BC". Kerkyra (also spelled the Roman way as "Corcyra") is the ancient Greek name for the island city-state of Corfu, on Greece's west coast. In 453 BC, the island owned a rather large fleet of warships, to protect their neutrality. I don't recall Kerkyra issuing coins depicting their triremes, though they did depict a ship prow on some of their later bronze coins.

In short: it's a fantasy souvenir coin, ancient-themed but not really ancient in design and not likely to confuse an expert in ancients. It's the sort of thing you could buy in modern Greece as a souvenir, without having to worry about Greek customs thinking it might be a genuine ancient coin and seizing it.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 481Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: